DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech-67/)
-   -   A/C intermittent (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/115504-a-c-intermittent.html)

ctjayhawker 07-17-2007 10:17 AM

A/C intermittent

Hi, all. Here'as my problem.
I have a 2000 Dak (3.9, 4x4 auto), and my A/C has been behaving oddly of late. I'll be driving happily along, enjoying my artificially-generated cool breeze, and boink! The A/C stops putting out cool air; it gets all warm and damp. If I shut it off for a few minutes, it generally will be cool again when I turn it back on.
That's it. No attendant noises or smells that I can detect. Just no cold air.
Any ideas?[sm=headbang.gif]
Chuck

Altair 07-17-2007 11:01 AM

RE: A/C intermittent

You may have a leak in the system. Had that symptom in a few of my previous cars, if the refrigerant is low the compressor can kick in and out, if it goes too low it just plain won't work.

ctjayhawker 07-17-2007 11:28 AM

Okey-doke. What's the fix? I've heard tell of an A/C "sealant", analagous, I guess, to the stuff you dump in your radiator. Is this an option, or will I cause a horrible, fiery explosion that, while fun to look at, would be even worse for my truck than the current problem?[sm=massbounce.gif]

Altair 07-17-2007 11:41 AM

Well I'm not 100% sure that's what it is, I can tell you those AC recharge kits from wally world or auto parts stores suck. I've used them on two vehicles before and both times they worked for a bit then killed the compressor. Depending how much you're willing to spend find a shop that does that kind of stuff. If they think it sounds like a leak they can charge your system with refrigerant and a special dye that's visible under UV light. In a week or so you bring it back and they use the light to pinpoint where the leak is coming from.

ctjayhawker 07-17-2007 11:55 AM

All right. I've got a local shop that's pretty good, I'll give them a call.
Thanks![sm=thanx.gif]

dodgepartsman 07-17-2007 12:03 PM

I had this problem to, and this fixed it, if you pop the hood, my receiver drier was icing up.

SUBJECT: Heater A/C System Changes Mode To Defrost When Accelerating
DATE: Oct. 18, 1996

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH MANUAL A/C
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The vacuum supply to the Heater A/C system may drop when accelerating or when speed control engages. This may cause the mode vacuum motor to switch to the defrost position.
DIAGNOSIS:
Use the procedure outlined in the appropriate Service Manual (Group 24) to verify that the Heater A/C system does not have any vacuum leaks. If no leaks are found, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:

Quantity

Part No.

Description

Check Valve

AR

NPN

Appropriate Size Vacuum Hose

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
This bulletin involves installing an additional vacuum check valve.
**Locate the vacuum source line to the Heater A/C system in the engine compartment (Figure 1, Figure 2, and Figure 3).** Install the vacuum check valve in the Heater A/C system vacuum line. Make sure that the check valve is installed to allow vacuum to pass into the Heater A/C system, but block any vacuum drop when **accelerating.**
**NOTE: DO NOT INSTALL THE VACUUM CHECK VALVE IN THE VACUUM LINE GOING TO THE RESERVOIR OR THE SPEED CONTROL SERVO. INSTALLING THE VACUUM CHECK VALVE IN THE LINE GOING TO THE VACUUM RESERVOIR OR THE SPEED CONTROL SERVO WILL HAVE A NEGATIVE EFFECT ON THE SYMPTOM/CONDITION AND POSSIBLY CAUSE THE SPEED CONTROL SYSTEM TO DROP VACUUM WHILE ACCELERATING. **

ctjayhawker 07-17-2007 12:12 PM

[sm=confused06.gif]Hmm, he said. Where do I find the receiver drier (I ask this cuz I'm ignernt).[sm=drooldude.gif]

dodgepartsman 07-17-2007 12:31 PM

if you look at my original post and click on "figure one" a photo comes up, theres an arrow that says "to vaccuum reservoir", its the part to the left of the arrow

dodgepartsman 07-17-2007 12:38 PM

heres the pic

[IMG]local://upfiles/64653/D706C00C5EAB420687B8F30C9A1F869C.gif[/IMG]

ctjayhawker 07-17-2007 12:41 PM

[sm=yeahsmile.gif]Ah! So I should run the A/C, and check that when I stop to see if it's frosty?