2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Control Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:36 AM
houston713
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Arm Bushings

Looking for the best way to remove and replace the upper and lower control arm bushings on a 2002 4X2 Dakota 5.9L. Please add any special tools or tricks you might have.

Thanx in advance.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: Control Arm Bushings

As far as I could tell when I replaced my upper control arms, they seem to be set in place (punched). The best way I could imagine is to take a large punch and slowly work it all the way around. (Similar to removing motorcycle bearings from the wheels) I would check with your local Dodge service rep and see if they can replace the bushing only. This would answer the general question if you can replace the bushing itself only.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Twiztid
Veteran

They have to be pressed out and in. I replaced mine with poly's not too long ago.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:24 AM
5 speed
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah i just ordered poly control arm and leaf spring bushings for the R/T suspension im putting on my truck, should be fun. how much of a difference did you notice? and how much of a pain was it to "reuse the outer metal shells"?

Old 08-28-2007, 08:01 AM
Razorhorn
Rookie

I've never replaced the control arm bushings on the Dakota, but I've done it on other Dodge and GM vehicles. It's a fun job, that's for sure. The control arm bushings are pressed in. Your best bet is to go to Autozone or O'Reilly's and get a loaner tool. They'll loan it to you for free with a deposit, which you'll get back when you return the tool set. The tool is similar to this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/UPPER-CONTROL-AR...QQcmdZViewItem

You can always improvise with sockets and a vice, but at the end of the day it is much easier if you have the right tool. Couple of pointers:
- Lube the bushings really well for a few hours with your favorite rust breaker oil
- Support the control arm lips because as you press out the old bushings and press in the new bushings the control arms will tend to collapse and warp

One technique that was recommended to me several years back was to burn out the rubber bushings with a torch which would release the steel bushing casings enough to make them easier to remove. I actually tried this on my kids 78 Trans Am and I had no luck with it. At the end of the day, the best thing to do if you're going to do it yourself is just go to Autozone or O'Reilly's and borrow the proper tool. And you might as well replace the ball joints while you're at it.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Twiztid
Veteran

I hate anything pressed, so i took them to a shop that did upper and lower control arms for 75 I think it was, its been awhile now. I myself was in replacing the ball joints and decided to go the extra mile for the bushings since they were old and cracking as it was. With all the work I have done to the front end, its hard to say what diff they made and I do mostly off-roading in mine. Although others say you should have a tad bit less body roll and greater road feel.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:40 AM
drew-dst

WAY WAY late to this party I know. But in case anyone is still looking for an alternative, here's a guide to installing bushings using household tools. No press needed:
http://www.aftermarketsuspensionpart...thout-a-press/

Old 05-24-2016, 12:07 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

This would never work on a Dakota control arm I had a machine shop install my upper bushings and they are the easy ones and they bent up 2 trying with a press. This works with smaller bushings only.

I will also say trying that way on the Dakota control arms would bend them up bad they are not solid but two wings on the bottom arms meaning no solid perch top arms have one wing but the bushings must be pressed on with the mounting shaft inserted.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 05-24-2016 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Control Arm Bushings