DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech-67/)
-   -   2-3 Shifting Problems (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/140812-2-3-shifting-problems.html)

rchweir 01-06-2008 09:54 PM

2-3 Shifting Problems

Hi there,

I tried looking around the forums a bit to see if I could find and answer but I think I got loaded with too much information (Im not a mechanical guy, so mechanical words scare me)

Anyways, about a week ago, my truck started acting a little weird shifting from 2-3 (auto). It seems like it doesnt want to shift in to 3rd. Sometime when it hits about 3k rpm, ill let off the gas and it shifts in to third, most times it will stay a high rpm for about 3 mins before it decides to shift on its own.

I was told a tranny fluid/filter change might do the trick, a leaking seal,or a modual replacement?, or utimatly a new transmission. Im hoping its not my third/fourth option. The truck has 150 000km on it.

Im just looking for what you guys think before I bring it to a mechanic shop and get charged an astronomical amount, when I could have fixed it for alot cheaper.

Thanks for your help,

Ryan

magnethead 01-07-2008 01:48 PM

RE: 2-3 Shifting Problems

try some lucas tranny fix first. Solved my issue for the 90% part.

master tech 01-07-2008 10:37 PM

The seals in the front drum of your transmission maybe hard, causing fluid to leak pass the seal. 99 percent of the time this will cause a long delay upshift into 3rd gear. You can try lucas to soften the seals or a mopar transmission seal kit.

rchweir 01-07-2008 11:42 PM

alright I went and got some lucas today and put it in. how long does it usually take for me to notice a difference? say if it hasnt improved by next week, should i do a tranny flush?

ConceptX 01-08-2008 10:30 AM

Im having the same problem. I have 99' with 160,000 miles. I had new fluids and filter put in, but it still revshigh in 2nd and doesnt want to make the shift into 3rd. When it does make the shift, its slow doing it. I was having a problem with the tranny slipping when i went to go from a dead stop, but the new transmission fluid and filter stopped that. Should i try Lucas or should i just buy a new tranny?

YOOPER96 01-08-2008 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: master tech

The seals in the front drum of your transmission maybe hard, causing fluid to leak pass the seal. 99 percent of the time this will cause a long delay upshift into 3rd gear. You can try lucas to soften the seals or a mopar transmission seal kit.
Yup, exactly what happened to mine. Good news:Parts are not too expensive. Bad news: A lot of $ for labor. My tranny shop said the seal softeners will buy you time, but won't fix it. I just had it fixed so it wouldn't leave me stranded far from home.

varsis 01-09-2008 12:11 PM

If your getting seals replaced on a high millage tranny I would suggest getting it completely teared down and rebuilt. might as well especially if you plan on keeping it. It will add maybe 25% - 50% of the cost to replace the seals but your tranny will be good for a long time to go.

2KDDRT 11-19-2008 11:17 AM

Magnethead reply from above: try some lucas tranny fix first. Solved my issue for the 90% part.
I am having this 2nd to 3rd shifting hesitation as well. My fluid is full and was recently serviced (although it was doing this before being serviced) so I don't know if I should drain a litre out before adding this to the tranny. Any advice?

TheePlaymaker 11-19-2008 11:39 AM

don't those tranny's have bands that you can get adjusted to fix slipping issues and what not...i dont keep up with the auto threads that much since i have a 5 speed but from checking them out i always hear people suggesting that

varsis 11-19-2008 11:53 AM

yes you can adjust bands, but if you adjust it wrong it's just going to kill the whole transmission...