2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

??? about OEM fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:57 AM
kerstuff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ??? about OEM fog lights

I've been trying to find the OEM fog lights and thought I'd found a set. I've got a 2000 club cab. However the online Dodge dealer said they were only for 2000 Dak's without the 3rd br ake light. WTF? I don't know Dodge trucks that well but did they not all come with the 3rd brake light/cargo light? I thought it would be simple to get but of course all dealers say it is an obsolete part. Anyone have any suggestions? I want the OEM switch for the fog lights but crap.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:18 AM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ??? about OEM fog lights

Don't bother with OE foglamps. If you are replacing existing factory lamps you already know that the lenses on these are junk. I bought a Pilot PL-203W kit from Auto-Zone for less than $40 and these lamps fit perfectly in the opening. They do however have a Blueish tint to the lense which didn't bother me since my Dak is Patriot blue. They give a true white beam. I just spliced into the factory plug at the lamp and the OEM switch and wiring has no trouble handling them. You will have to drill two holes in each openingfor the mounting brackets but they fit very nice and snug. If this is an install without the factory harness for foglamps this kit has a very nice harness with relay and switch with it.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Radman
Rookie

After years and years of driving with TRUE YELLOW FOG lights, I'd like to
meet the guy that said a WHITE light mounted below headlights are
fog lights.

In the FOG a white light will reflect back into your eyes. A TRUE YELLOW
FOG light system aimed right will not.

Just my thoughts guys..

Old 01-12-2008, 02:36 AM
geoffb123
Veteran

I think thats what 3000k xenons are used for. I'd sure like a pair

Old 01-13-2008, 10:12 AM
kerstuff

Thanks for the info. What brands can I use then in the factory spots in the bumber? I would prefer the yellow I believe instead of just driving lights. Being that my 2000 Dak is new to me I wasn't aware that the OEM was crap. I want to use an OEM factory headlight/fog light switch in the dash. Thanks again.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:03 PM
geoffb123
Veteran

First i'd just go out and finda set out housings for the fog lamps, then hook up a set of 3000k HID's for fog lamps. They say that there almost like driving during the day, thats how bright they are. But keep in mind if you want good ones that won't crap out there atleast 200. Or you could just go with halo fog lamps. Easily find them on e-bay. The ring around the housing can either be lit up in blue,pink,purple,yellow etc. Just look around. Thats how I found out about my headlights. Sexiest things I ever bought.
Go here if you want to order the HID's (http://www.customeuros.com/). Or if you have any questions just ask jason djserax2007@yahoo.com. Tellhim Geoff sent you. Just DON'T buy HID's off e-bay. Stay away from them

Old 01-14-2008, 08:47 PM
JCFChamp
Rookie

Mine didnt come with Fogs to start with. I was looking at the Pilot kit made for 1997 & up dakota's, how much work am i looking at doing this mod? I've heard i could splice into my factory headlights or something of the sort, then when i turned my headlights on, the Fogs would stay on with the headlights.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:44 AM
geoffb123
Veteran

I guess you could, thats only if you want your fogs on at the same time yourheadlights are on. Unless you want to have a switch to control that.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:54 PM
JCFChamp
Rookie

Yeah, i'd love to have a switch. But thats were more wiring comes in, not to mention finding a way to make it look professional. Honestly i'm debating on a Grille Guard, KC lights...or this setup. Either way its money spent.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:05 AM
geoffb123
Veteran

Either way it still looks good. But you just have to figure out if you want to do the wiring yourself. Or pay money to do it right. I did my own headlights wiring but that was really simple stuff. If you want to wire it to a switch I suggest you get someone to do it for you. Even get a buddy to help you out.

Quick Reply: ??? about OEM fog lights