DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech-67/)
-   -   98 Dakota (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/144718-98-dakota.html)

kowboydmac 01-29-2008 12:45 AM

98 Dakota

Ok my dad has a 98 dakota that I put up on craigslist for 1000.00 because it has some major cosmetic damage to the rear bed, but if he does keep it, how do these things run in the cold? he has a 3.9L 4x4 reg. cab. He needs new ball joints and I can do some of the work when we get to West Virginia, but is this truck worth keeping around? I didn't know it was 4x4 so I may end up giving him my 2wd Ram 1500 for his Dakota to save on gas, but if my Ram is an overall better truck then I'll keep mine. OK sorry for dragging on, basically I want to know how these things run in the cold lol. I'll search for some fixes yall have done.

geoffb123 01-29-2008 12:48 AM

RE: 98 Dakota

My transmission won't shift into overdrive because of this god dam weather. Between -40 and -50 here today. I could go over 80kph. There really nice trucks. You can make them a real head turner. How cold is it up there in West Virginia?

kowboydmac 01-29-2008 01:04 AM

think my dad said 45

geoffb123 01-29-2008 01:18 AM

Celsius?

Brymac76 01-29-2008 08:52 AM

I have a 97 3.9. 4x4 as well...mine is extended cab and a 5 Speed manual. I've never had any issues with the truck in the cold....except it the heater not getting very warm. I hear its a common issue with these Dakotas...if you do some trolling you'll find the way to fix it...(ive been to lazy to do it) and I live in NC now so it doesnt really get that cold for me and not really an issue.
I've had this truck since 1998, and have drivn it all over Germany (german winters are pretty damn cold), i've had it in Pennsylvania through the winter (again pretty cold winters), and besides the not so hot heater..i've had no issues, always started right up etc.

Cant speak for the Ram though...never had one.

Good luck whatever you decide on
Mac

TheePlaymaker 01-29-2008 11:33 AM

mines been really good in the winter so far first one i've had it and its been pretty cold a couple days when i had it in the mountains for hunting and up at school both in northern pa. it was in the teens here the other day and it started right up. and geoffb123 im thinking he's talking farenheit since were in the states.

kowboydmac 01-29-2008 04:43 PM

yeah farenheit. I forgot his was 4x4 so now i'm like ahhhh because I want a little 4x4 (was thinking of gettin an old 'Yota to play with) and my ram I want, but with the issues it has my Dad may be better off with it because he doesn't drive for speed or show, and I want something to show with speed since i'm a stud 20 yr old. Lol JK. How well do the 3.9's push 33-35 inch tires?

Brymac76 01-29-2008 05:36 PM

I'm rolln 32's on my Dakota...and its pretty slow. Now that said..my truck is also heavier than the one your referenceing because mine is an extended cab and i have a Cap Top on mine. Its not the slowest in the world...but its kinda slow. I also have a few mods on mine to make it a bit quicker but i did the mods about the same time i bumped up to the 32s on it so i didnt really notice anything diffrent at all..pretty much just stayed the same.
Now i drove one of the regular cab Dakotas when i was looking for mine...and im gonna say it was a pretty quick little truck..but it was also only 2wd, and it had street tires on it.
I'm not sure about all the differencs between yours and mine but you might also need some kind of a lift to fit 33's.
Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.
Mac

ccrunner 01-29-2008 11:19 PM

ORIGINAL: kowboydmac

yeah farenheit. I forgot his was 4x4 so now i'm like ahhhh because I want a little 4x4 (was thinking of gettin an old 'Yota to play with) and my ram I want, but with the issues it has my Dad may be better off with it because he doesn't drive for speed or show, and I want something to show with speed since i'm a stud 20 yr old. Lol JK. How well do the 3.9's push 33-35 inch tires?
Yeah, I agree with brymac.if your thinking 33-35 your definitely looking for a few inch lift.

varsis 01-30-2008 01:32 AM

3 inch body lift should do it. I run 31's on my truck 3.9L mag and it's god damn slow. It only goes like 125 km/h :S or 75 mph. It just can't keep going. Not sure though if my exhaust manifold leaks are making any problems. Low end torque is bad on mine. All I hear is a tick day and night.