2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Considering a 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Ext Cab 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 02:11 PM
PeterNC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Ext Cab 4x4

I am considering entering the Dodge Dakota family. I have found a 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Ext Cab 4x4 with a 3.9L Auto. It has 207,000kms (that's about 130,000miles). The ABS and Brakes lights are on. The doors are hard to open but I believe new door pins will correct this. I can do the brake work myself, but I have never worked on a vehicle with ABS before. The engine has a ticking sound at start up when cold. I read this is normal because of the hydraulic lifters. It almost sounds like an small exhaust manifold leak.

I would appreciate any heads up before buying this truck. I might be able to get it for $2,200! I read the recall about the ball joints but I don't know if they were done on this Dakota. This truck was repossed so I don't have history information for the previous owner.

I also read and heard the 3.9L is sluggish on the highway.

The main uses for this truck (a second vehicle) will be back and forth to work mainly, 10kms one way. I also plan to tow a camper. I read the the towing capacity for it is 4,900lbs.

Any advise would be appreciated, particularly from owners who have this model.

A picture of it is below.

[IMG]local://upfiles/84206/92D496ADA8FE4E4D933DEEDF7ACBBEA5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Brymac76
Professional
Default RE: Considering a 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Ext Cab 4x4

Hey Peter,
I have a very similar truck, only mine is a 1997 model.
Chances are with 130k miles on it the ball joints have already been replaced...at least once, so i wouldnt be to worried about them. Mine went bad around 70k, and i have 130k on mine right now as well.
My truck started to tick about 20k miles ago.....I had the Timeing belt changed and i still had the tick...then I changed the oil i was using, went from10w/40, to 10w/30, and it doesnt tick anymore. I have no idea why..but it worked. I also have only used Synthetic oil in the truck since ive ownd it (since 1998).
I do have a manifold leak too....one of the bolts is sheered off, but I havnt gotten around to changing it yet. You can get a new manifold for about $90.

My truck is sluggish...but i also have 32 inch tires on it. I Put a cold air intake and a V8 Throttle body on and it helped alot. Still a slow truck...but then againit is a truck, if i wanted fast id buy a sports car.Even with the 32's i can still get up to highway speeds no problem, andits sluggishness has never really been an issue or gotten me into a bad spot.

I drive about 20miles a day, 5 days a week for work, and i can go a week and a half (sometimes 2 weeks) on a tank of gas....so with gas prices, thats kinda nice for a truck, in my opinion.

All in all its a solid truck. I've never had any major issues with it. If your just using it for back and forth to work...id say get it for $2,200.

Im not sure what to tell you about yourcamper...i have only tow'd with my truck once and it was just a small trailer with some tools on it.

not sure if this post helps at all...but good luck.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:02 AM
PeterNC

Thanks for your reply. If I get it I plan to switch to synthetic oil as well as long as it does not have any oil leaks. I'll probaby do it myself to save some money. I will probably go with the 10W30, probably better in our colder climate as well. Not sure what the recommended weight is on this truck.

The truck is not inspected and Nova Scotia, Canada recently really tighten up their inspection laws so the unknown is a risk. Its an auction type deal so I can't drive it outside their yard. I have driven it in the yard and all the gears work. I quickly realized that you need to have it in neutral to go into 4 low! I have never owned a 4x4 truck before.

I have a fairly decent mechanical back ground and can do most work myself. I have never worked on ABS brakes though. Replacing the brakes is no problem but I have no experience trouble shooting ABS. With the ABS light on it maybe a function of just badly worn brakes?

Has anyone replace the door pins and bushings? This Truck seems to need it on both sides.

I assume you meant timing chain as I am pretty sure the 3.9L has a chain. The local dealer said this may need to be replace on this one with that kind of miles. Although if it skips its timing there is no risk to the valves like in a belt driven engine.

The Truck is equipped with a remote starter but no key fob. Also has a CD deck with no face plate. If I can get the manufacture name and model of them I maybe able to order the key fob and face plate.

I would like to get a vinyl cover for the box as well to keep luggage dry.

This truck has 15" tires although it has 235 series on it when the door sticker says it should be 215.

Thanks Brymac76!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Brymac76
Professional

Hey Peter,
Your right..it is a Timing Chain...not a belt. I also had a tensioner installed with my new one. SUpposedly the tensioner reduces the ticking....

I forgot to mention that i did have issues with my ABS light. I was stationed in germany ...when it would rain the ABS light would come on and if i hit the breaks my rear breaks would lock up no matter how much pressure i put on the pedal.. I didnt have my tools etc with me in Germany so i had a local shop take care of it. They said it was a sensor for the rear breaks was bad and when water hit it it would short out. It cost like $50 plus labor. That was the one and only time i had any issues.

I'm not sure what emmisions laws are like in Nova Scotia, but if it has a manifold leak, it might not pass the emissions inspection..something i ran into..but luckily i "know" somebody.....just something to think about.

Havnt had any issue with the door pins or bushings..sorry.

I had a vinyl cover on mine for about 4 years. It worked great at first..but then as time went by it started to get worn out...it got frost on it once andthe vinylactually tore and you could see the materail underneath, after that it was never really worth it anymore. If you checked out my car domain link you can see i upgraded to a camper shell.

again good luck if you decide to purchase it.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Dickeydoo

Wow 2,200! Thats a great price, even with a few flaws! I paid $8,300 for my 2000 with 175,000km, so youre getting a prety good deal! Do it!
[align=center] [/align]

Quick Reply: Considering a 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Ext Cab 4x4