2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

5.9L half runs

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 08:32 PM
JasonA
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 5.9L half runs

DON'T just move wires haphazardly! You can't turn the rotor without also turning theengine, but it DOES matter how the distributor is "clocked" in relation to the rotor.

You need to set the engine to #1 TDC. That is, when both valves are closed on the #1 cylinder and the piston is at Top Dead Center (where the cylinder is ready to fire). Note where the rotor is (and what direction the rotor turns), and install the cap on the distributor and note which terminal is at the location where the end of the rotor is...in other words, the firing terminal. That's where your #1 plug wire goes. Know the firing order of the engine. It's 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

That is, install your #1 wire on that #1 terminal. Then, if the rotor turns clockwise, the next terminal in the clockwise direction is where the #8 wire goes. Then, the next one clockwise is where the #4 wire goes, etc. If the rotor actually turns counter-clockwise, then go in that direction.

But again, don't just go moving wires around. You NEED to set the engine to #1 TDC in order to properly time the engine. If that means removing a valve cover to see what the valves are doing, that may have to be what you need to do.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:57 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the haines manual has a diagram that shows you what wires go to what cylinders, if i had a camera i would take a pic and post it for you. but like jasona said, dont just go moving wires around.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:02 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: JasonA

DON'T just move wires haphazardly! You can't turn the rotor without also turning the engine, but it DOES matter how the distributor is "clocked" in relation to the rotor.

You need to set the engine to #1 TDC. That is, when both valves are closed on the #1 cylinder and the piston is at Top Dead Center (where the cylinder is ready to fire). Note where the rotor is (and what direction the rotor turns), and install the cap on the distributor and note which terminal is at the location where the end of the rotor is...in other words, the firing terminal. That's where your #1 plug wire goes. Know the firing order of the engine. It's 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

That is, install your #1 wire on that #1 terminal. Then, if the rotor turns clockwise, the next terminal in the clockwise direction is where the #8 wire goes. Then, the next one clockwise is where the #4 wire goes, etc. If the rotor actually turns counter-clockwise, then go in that direction.

But again, don't just go moving wires around. You NEED to set the engine to #1 TDC in order to properly time the engine. If that means removing a valve cover to see what the valves are doing, that may have to be what you need to do.
Sorry for the confusion, I didn't change the distributor, just the cap and rotor... But It still does the same thing. The engine does go clock wise, with the numbers there. But It just won't run properly....

Chris

Old 04-19-2008, 09:15 PM
spencea15
Record Breaker

are you using the coil from the 3.9? Do the 3.9 and 5.9 use the same coil?

Old 04-19-2008, 09:44 PM
ricbrk
Professional

I am kinda agreeing with jason & wink. Turn your engine until the line on the crank damper is even with the TDC mark on thecover. Take #1 plug out, and put a coat hanger or something in the hole and see if #1 piston is up, then take distributor cap off, and see if the rotor is pointing to the #1on the dist cap. Make sure plug wires are right.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:55 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just put a socket and a johnson bar on the crank bolt andturn it till #1 is at TDC. you will have to make sure that both valves are closed too. then you can double check the timing and make sure its not off at all. who knows if the guy you bought the motor off of removed the distributor or not.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:07 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: jonnymagnum

just put a socket and a johnson bar on the crank bolt and turn it till #1 is at TDC. you will have to make sure that both valves are closed too. then you can double check the timing and make sure its not off at all. who knows if the guy you bought the motor off of removed the distributor or not.
Well, to check the timing do I have to remove the distributor? I have never messed with it, just the cap and rotor.

It seems to run a bit better each time I start it too, so I am not sure...

Old 04-20-2008, 04:31 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

Okay here is something:
http://varsisstudio.com/oddidle.3g2.zip

A video use quicktime to open it. Not sure how else, but you can see the rev's and hear the engine a bit. The clanking im thinking is the exhaust...

Old 04-20-2008, 08:20 AM
JasonA
Veteran

Thanks for the video. That helps describe the problem for us.

I don't think you need to necessarily remove the distributor. As long as the rotor points to the #1 terminal on the cap when the #1 piston is at Top Dead Center, the timing should be on.

How much do you know about this engine? It could really be a variety of things... Have you performed a compression test on each cylinder? Did you hear it/see it run before you bought it? In other words, do you KNOW it ran right before it was pulled from the previous vehicle?

Old 04-20-2008, 11:17 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cant see the video, i extracted the file but nothing will play it.

Quick Reply: 5.9L half runs