DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech-67/)
-   -   Anyone Run Projector Headlights? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/184627-anyone-run-projector-headlights.html)

OneBadKota 01-01-2009 07:17 PM

Anyone Run Projector Headlights?

I'm looking for some aftermarket projector headlights for my truck. I'm also wanting to run HID's again.

Or even the CCFL's, since my choices are limited with projectors.

If anyone has them, pictures? Easy to install, any problems? Also, where'd you get them?

Thanks in advance.

Dodge Rules 01-01-2009 09:14 PM

projectors you can normally find on ebay and such like that. some sites to check out are
www.stylintrucks.com
www.dakota-durango.com
Start there for the projectors but you can run HIDS with the stock housing all in your opinion.

To look for HID kits i would go here, http://www.hidkitswarehouse.com/hidshop/
now i have not purchased anything from them yet but if you do plan to then tell me how it goes

OneBadKota 01-01-2009 09:30 PM

Thanks.

However, I'm looking for information on the headlights. (not to sound like a dick), but I was already planning to spend $180 on a set of projectors before I got 3 reviews of they aren't worth the money.

Many people have bought the HIDs from them on Dakota-Durango.com. Most the people were satisfied, but you had the very few that had a bad ballast or what not. Quickly replaced though. I'll probably deal with them when I buy my next set. They weren't around when I bought the set I have now.

chris1974 01-02-2009 12:54 PM

Don't run HID's in a regular housing unless you like blinding everyone that's on the road with you. If you're going to do it, do it right and don't take the cheap way out.

Dodge Rules 01-02-2009 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by chris1974 (Post 1498108)
Don't run HID's in a regular housing unless you like blinding everyone that's on the road with you. If you're going to do it, do it right and don't take the cheap way out.

not trying to tell you that you dont know. But how would that blind people. there was a disscussion about this on the custom forums and many have done this and not had a problem. Given i know next to nothing when it comes to HIDS just saying.

OneBadKota 01-03-2009 03:24 AM

HID's in stock housings don't blind people. HID's in clear housings do. You have to adjust them down to get them not so bad. HID's in the stock housings just shoot everywhere.

geoffb123 01-03-2009 07:07 PM

I have projectors with HID's. Check out my thread on it. Posted videos and pics too. And as for HID's in the housings, Its the reflector housings that are illegal. Scatters the light, where as a projector housing aims it perfectly with that sexy cutoff line. Cops frown upon HID's in reflector housings. Some cops don't care, but there are some where they like to give out a couple hundred dollar tickets. Just check out my thread on it and you can see for yourself what they look like both in 4300K and 6000K color temp

chris1974 01-08-2009 12:22 PM

That's what I was saying- The stock housing dont have the cutoff that keeps the blinding light aimed at the ground rather than in people's rearviews.

geoffb123 01-08-2009 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by chris1974 (Post 1504664)
That's what I was saying- The stock housing dont have the cutoff that keeps the blinding light aimed at the ground rather than in people's rearviews.

Exaclty right. If you look at what the light looks like when it comes out of a reflector housing, its pretty much everywhere, with a few concentrated points. A 35W HID bulb has 300% more light output then a 55w Halogen bulb. Put that HID bulb inside the halogen housing, and your going to blind people. Some people put then inside of the housing anyways, but they re-aim their headlights so its not blinding. Just don't be one of those people that put HID's in a halogen housing and not re-aim it. Or just don't be cheap. But you do risk the chance of getting a ticket if you take the cheap way out.

big.bryant 01-10-2009 01:39 AM

how do you re-aim so that you don't draw attention/blind the **** out of people?