2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Sub under jump seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:47 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sub under jump seat

I was wondering if anyone has ever done this. Like gutted the bottom of the middle jump seat with the flip up console and put like an 8 under it. I am thinking about trying it but don't want to start and then realize its not doable. I'm not looking for an assload of bass just a little low end to fill in for the door speakers. I searched around but couldn't really find anything.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:13 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i remember a few weeks ago, one of the embers was selling his custom made box/arm rest to go in between the 2 seats. i think he fit a 10 in it. i think its doable with a slim sub (maybe one of the slimline subs from pioneer? if you like pioneer? i dont know what the other companies offer.) and make a very small box to go underneath it. pop up the bench and start taking some measurements. width, length, and depth. i just dont know how the sub will sound with a tiony box, if it weill even make a difference. if anything, i doubt it will be dramatic.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:41 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

if you are talking about those little seats in the back, then i would suggest just taking them out, its not like anybody can really sit in them anyway (unless you have kids that are less than 5or 6 years old ) and i think i heard on here at one point that someone made a box which would replace the tray underneath the seats and hold two subs, not sure what size tho, or who made it

Old 02-18-2009, 01:43 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

If you have the 3 piece front seat, I'd imagine you could fit an 8 under there. I haven't stuck my hand too far in, but seems like there's a bit of a void?

Not sure about 8's, as the most i've sdone was a 12"er in a 8 cubic foot unit (home theatre..raddles the doors) and 2 12's in 5 cubic foot (87 camaro). Both ported to 18hz.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:32 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

yeah i was talking about the little seat in the middle in the front...i wanna keep that look but have a sub under it i guess i'll have to take it apart some day and see whats up under there

Old 02-18-2009, 03:45 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by TheePlaymaker
yeah i was talking about the little seat in the middle in the front...i wanna keep that look but have a sub under it i guess i'll have to take it apart some day and see whats up under there
a flashlight and hand held mirror are your friends

If you find anything out, I have a 10" pioneer with 100 watt amp I'd love to get in my dako (club cab, so regular truck box i have now isn't hideable). The amp is like 6" square so i figure i could attach it to the box and run cables under the carpet somehow.

That said, where do most of you run your power cables? Is there a good spot in the firewall or do you have to drill and grommet your own?

Last edited by magnethead; 02-18-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:03 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

there was a good spot on the firewall that i used when i did my first one even tho the old ****ty amp died like 5 mins after i got it all wired up

Old 02-18-2009, 11:49 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a large grommet behind and below the brake booster in the corner of the firewall where you can cut a hole in it and easily pass your power wire for the amp thru the firewall. It's the grommet that the main wire harness goes thru to the engine compartment.

It is possible to either build your own or you can use a pre-made sub encolsure to install in place of the center cushion on the front seat. JL Audio used to make a Stealthbox for it with a single 10". It sounded good but needed a lot of power and it was a biotch to install. Took 2 guys 4 hours to do it. And that was on a good day...Check www.jlaudio.com or maybe at a JL dealer. If you built your own I would say use 2 8" subs or 1 10" sub at most, due to the limited space. And recess the bottom side of the enclosure up off the floor a few inches so the subs don't beat themselves to death against the carpet and floor surface.

Jimmy

Old 02-19-2009, 01:05 AM
magnethead
Legend

The 12" in my room is floor loaded, gets 300 Watts, 8 cubic feet ported to 18 Hz.

Safe to say, the only subs i ever do will be facing a surface. The camaro box was forward firing, only because it didn't occur to me that down firing would be that much better.

But I'd build my own box, probably .8 to 1.25 cubic foot, sealed, with my 10" pioneer and 100 watt amp.

I know he center seat unbolts seperate from the other 2 seats, but how do you actually pull it out and such?

Old 02-19-2009, 10:58 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

To pull out the center seat you have to unbolt all the seat belts and both the driver and passenger seats and the middle seat is bolted to the frame rails for the driver and passenger seats and you remove the whole front seat set as an assembly. It's kind of like handling a very large and very heavy wet noodle. That's why it takes 2 guys to do it. When you get it out of the truck and on the ground, then you can remove the center seat section. It's a royal PITA but can be done with patience and the right tools.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Sub under jump seat