2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need some advice on changing my transmission fluid, and front and rear differential

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:19 PM
c_brown92
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on changing my transmission fluid, and front and rear differential

I have a 1997 dodge dakota 3.9 V6 4x4. I need to change my automatic transmission fluid, and my front and rear differential oils soon. I've never done any of this before but would like to do it myself. Anyone done it before and care to give me some directions? I was told that you can clean out the differential with brake cleaner/or another heavy duty degreaser but im not so sure that a good idea. Any fluid weight suggestions/brand names.

Thanks

Cody

Old 04-22-2009, 10:26 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you can use brake clean. In Fact you should use brake clean. It mostly evaporates when it dries and doesn't leave residue. You can and should use it to get most if not all of teh fluid out of your diff.

Here's a good write up on changing diff oil. Don't forget if you have an LSD you should get some Mopar Friction Modifier.

http://www.getahelmet.com/jeeps/maint/diff_fluid/

Changing the Transmission fluid is almost the same as changing your diff oil, except you have to remove the old filter and put in the new one making sure the o-rings are in place and not torn or anything. Sometimes you may have to pry lightly on either the trans pan or the diff cover. It's okay if you need to but be careful. They bend easily. If you do en up bending a corner or something a little, put it on a flat surface and pound it back into place.

here ya go.

http://www.partshp.com/FluidChange.htm

As for fluid. In your transmission use ATF +4 (I'm not sure if ATF+5 is out yet). I'm not sure about the diff oil though. Maybe someone else can chime in. You can always ask the dealer too.

One more thing. I wouldn't use a pre-formed gasket on either the transmission or the diffs. Just use RTV.

Last edited by CSCustomCars; 04-22-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on changing my transmission fluid, and front and rear differential