DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech-67/)
-   -   Bank 1 misfires (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/208609-bank-1-misfires.html)

dakota19762 07-25-2009 01:58 PM

Bank 1 misfires

I have searched the forum and found the post by Rouler01, but there was no answer to his post. I also have the exact same problem. I have installed new wires, plugs, cap and rotor, coil, crank and cam sensors. I also tested the TPS and it was good. I recently put a new transmission in the truck, so I don't plan on getting rid of it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also all parts are OEM, I had Bosch when it started acting up. Thanks. Chris J.

f0x672 07-25-2009 04:09 PM

bosch ignition system parts suck. get ngk and a set of napa premium wires and youre good to go. what cylinder is misfiring? 1,3, or 5 (or 7 if you have a v8).

dakota19762 07-26-2009 01:06 AM

I have the 3.9l engine, and all three cylinders are reading a random misfire code. The mechanic that I talked to said the same thing about Bosch, so I got all the parts from Dodge.

Fdup 07-26-2009 12:45 PM

I've been trying to fix the same problem,same year, same motor, same misfire codes. I've tried all the suggested repairs and still the same. My next thing to try is replacing the wiring harness. I just wish that when someone fixes this problem they post what they did to fix it.
Good luck and let me know what works.

bondslayer 07-28-2009 09:55 AM

Are the plugs gapped correctly?

dakota19762 07-28-2009 04:27 PM

Yes they are, I did those myself with a real gap tool, not a keychain. .40 is what is written under the hood, and also what the service dept. at the dealership told me when I bought all the tune-up parts. I had found one screw on the cap was broken off, I fixed that and it still has a miss. For it to be just one side, I am begining to think it may be the cat on that side. I'll do a compression test this week-end before I start ripping off the exhaust.

Fdup 07-28-2009 05:19 PM

I've got the same problem and was thinking that a squirrel got into my intake that's why I made the new grill.
I'm still getting 23 mpg even with misfire.

dakota19762 07-28-2009 10:15 PM

Not fair, the best mpg I've ever gotten with this truck is 17. Right now I barely get 15 and that is really getting into my wallet! How do you get 23mpg? For that I'll keep the misfire:)

Fdup 07-29-2009 09:18 AM

I took a drive to the Canfield Ohio swap meet 3 1/2 hours each way, 70-75 mph no stops along way, drove at night so no other traffic and checked mileage both ways 22.4 and 22.6 mpg.
Truck was empty, tonneau cover, cold air intake check engine light was on the whole time. misfire 1 3 and 5. My truck runs good at speed but you can feel and hear a misfire when stopped. It wants to stall and has no power to take off.

bondslayer 07-29-2009 11:40 AM

If your mpg is still great, then it probably isn't a o2 sensor. Your engine coolant temp sensor, and iat sensor also play a roll in how the computer controlls the timing/ fuel mixture. Are you able to feel these misfires @ a stand still, or only on a scanner? What do all of your plugs look like, are they all the same color platform, or are some a softer color than others? What is your idle set @? It might be you need to raise the idle a 100 rpm which can be done with the set screw on the TB.