2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Winter / Snow Tire Recommendation: Michelin Latitude X-Ice

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 09:40 AM
caddy owner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter / Snow Tire Recommendation: Michelin Latitude X-Ice

I had Michelin Latitude X-Ice tires put on my stock 16" wheels for winter use about a month ago. (255x65x16 size) We had our first snow that stuck to the roads this week and I can report these are the best winter tires I've ever owned. I have a RWD V6 with 280 lbs. of sand in tubes in the bed. On packed snow and ice, on paved or unpaved roads, the truck handled very predictably. I could get the rear end to break loose, but completely controlled. The only thing I could not try out was backing up my steep driveway, since I had already cleared it. Since this is my first winter with the truck, I don't know how poorly it handles with all season tires in the winter, but I suspect it isn't great since I've had RWD trucks and cars for over 30 years.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:54 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

i've got Dean Wintercats... waiting for snow

Old 12-17-2009, 04:27 AM
dodgeheller99
Rookie

general grabbers AT2, blizard rated

Old 12-17-2009, 08:53 AM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caddy owner
I had Michelin Latitude X-Ice tires put on my stock 16" wheels for winter use about a month ago. (255x65x16 size) We had our first snow that stuck to the roads this week and I can report these are the best winter tires I've ever owned. I have a RWD V6 with 280 lbs. of sand in tubes in the bed. On packed snow and ice, on paved or unpaved roads, the truck handled very predictably. I could get the rear end to break loose, but completely controlled. The only thing I could not try out was backing up my steep driveway, since I had already cleared it. Since this is my first winter with the truck, I don't know how poorly it handles with all season tires in the winter, but I suspect it isn't great since I've had RWD trucks and cars for over 30 years.
My last dakota was the 3.9 rwd open diff, with all seasons on it... There was no point in trying to go anywhere in the snow, most of the time I couldn't even make it out of my parking spot lol.

Quick Reply: Winter / Snow Tire Recommendation: Michelin Latitude X-Ice