2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

ckp/cmp sensor issue's i think...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 11:39 PM
areed424
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ckp/cmp sensor issue's i think...

My truck is running decent, once i get it cranked up. once it's hot it doesnt start well at all. if it does at all. my buddy told me about a civic he had with same issues it turned out to be tdc sensor well r/t didnt believe in those does anyone know if it could be a ckp/cmp maybe.. if so what are some ways to check?

Old 02-07-2010, 02:00 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Lots of possibility's from wires to computer to ignition switch. You just got to start diagnosing it. Any codes? Are you getting spark at the plugs? Are you getting fuel pressure? Are the injectors working?

Old 02-08-2010, 12:20 AM
areed424
Default no such luck

i have no code's up right now. i just fixed a po303. i have good fuel pressure, far is barely to no crank once she gets warm could to much heat to my starter cause a short? i bought it with some un branded set of chrome headers that love to throw some heat.... i am wrapping them this week sometime... just hoping someone has a better idea then me. lol thanks crazy

Old 02-08-2010, 07:06 AM
wewanaplay
Veteran

Sounds like the header wrap is a great place to start. May want to look at trying to fabricate some kind of heat shield for that starter too.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:27 PM
areed424
Exclamation don't think it's a fix

i don't think the header wrap is a fix but it will most def get me started. i have no idea how to check the two sensors if any of you has the know how i need, advice would greatly be appreciated..... I'm not saying thats what is wrong with it for sure, but it's about the only idea i have.... if one of you ran into this issue before please feel free to drop your wisdom in my direction.... also sometimes upon start up hot/warm/cold the truck is always kind of slugish to crank over but it'll speed up stroke over 2 or 3 times and fire right up well the actuall firing up only happens cold/warm, not hot, "hot" being idle temps after running for a 10 mins or so.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:20 AM
wewanaplay
Veteran

The more you say about the problem, the more it sounds like the starter has been heat soaked and you are now living with the effects. Try the wrap and a shield if it seems it help at all I would replace the starter and I would be willing to bet that your problem disapears.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:19 AM
areed424
Default thx wewan

Thanks for the advice, i am going to drop a new starter in it just because of the strains i have put it through trying to 'diagnose: sorry for the spelling' this problem i do they make an after market heat shield for starters? sorry for the dumb A*s question but i've never delt with this kind of heat from a set of headers....

Quick Reply: ckp/cmp sensor issue's i think...