2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Clutch Fan removal/ E Fan questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 10:46 AM
Rantz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wink2873
ive always gotten really crappy mpg, I dont think the t-stat made it any worse... I have a 3.9
How crappy are we talking? I usually get 15-17 mpg based on conditions and habits. I have the 3.7L quad cab with 3.92 ratio rear and stock size tires.

It's nice to hear you weren't affected further by it.

My sound has already gotten better since I put in the air intake, but I can still hear the clutch fan sometimes.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:12 PM
Independentfool
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rantz
Wink,
What used efans would work well under our shrouds??
lose the shroud when you add an e-fan.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:55 PM
FireFighterHill
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been wanting to do this mod. I cannot lose the shroud as on my Dakota the radiator overflow and windshield washer fluid pump and reservoir is built into the shroud.

Where is the best place to get the temp from? is there any place thats already tapped that can be used for the temp sensor with or without an adapter?

I like this fan http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRM-19115/ but its out of stock.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:46 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I suggest taking a look at this device, it controls the fan and has soft startup so it does not draw so much power at start up for the fans that draw **** tons of Amps, it also has a none splice temp probe for the radiator, and an accessory part that gives you an LED that lets you know the fan is on, and if its at slow speed or full speed.
http://www.dccontrol.com/fancontrol.htm#chc - FK-50P

Some good electric fans a lot of people use on our trucks are
Black magic 180
Flex-e-lite
Ford Torus fan
Mark8 Fan
Viper Fan
Chevy SSR Fan (cheap on rockauto)

Old 08-01-2010, 03:55 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Rantz
How crappy are we talking? I usually get 15-17 mpg based on conditions and habits. I have the 3.7L quad cab with 3.92 ratio rear and stock size tires.

It's nice to hear you weren't affected further by it.

My sound has already gotten better since I put in the air intake, but I can still hear the clutch fan sometimes.
well now that I drive about 30 miles each way on the highway to work I get about 18-20 mpg, when I was just strictly driving in the city (in a town where every fricking intersection is a 4-way stop) I was getting about 12 mpg. I would say that the t-stat wont affect your mpg, and if it does it wont even be noticeable.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:57 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Independentfool
lose the shroud when you add an e-fan.
i think its 01+ where they changed the should to where it has the washer fluid in it... you cant really take it off unless you dont want washer fluid. You can take off the lower part of the shroud (the circular shaped part) put I left mine on just so the airflow gets directed onto the engine better

Old 08-01-2010, 07:08 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wink2873
i think its 01+ where they changed the should to where it has the washer fluid in it... you cant really take it off unless you dont want washer fluid. You can take off the lower part of the shroud (the circular shaped part) put I left mine on just so the airflow gets directed onto the engine better
00+ had the large plastic shroud.

Washer fluid is just extra weight IMO. I don't use it, but if you did want it you can always find a washer bottle from the 97-99 style and hook that up, its an easy swap, and buy recirculation overflow tank like the one in the link below (its what i use) http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-85505/

I also took both parts of my shroud off, lower and top, still using the stock fan till i can get a hold of a nice viperfan and that DC Controller i listed earlier. Runs fine for now, but i would still like a nice looking Ele Fan.

Quick Reply: Clutch Fan removal/ E Fan questions