2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

heater hose verification

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 12:21 AM
Scaryjam8234
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater hose verification

As some may know I'm having heater troubles, I've flushed the heater core, replaced the radiator cap. My next step is verifying my heater hose configuration.

From several sources online I've found out, correct me if I'm wrong, that antifreeze flows from the intake to the heater core, then from heater core to water pump.

Now I have read from some other sources that the inlet for the heater core is the bottom hose on the firewall and the outlet for the heater core is the top.

Therefore my intake heater hose should be on the bottom hole of the firewall and the hose running to the water pump should be on the top hole, correct?

This is on a 99 Dodge Dakota 5.2 2wd.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:47 AM
Scaryjam8234
Rookie

No one knows? Oh well, the only reason I haven't tried swapping them yet is because the lines are stuck at the firewall. New lines will be needed because I'll have to cut the old lines and I don't have the money for new lines yet.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:13 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The hot antifreez is supposed to enter into the bottom connector of the heater core and then the top hose should go around over to the passenger side past the valve cover and then back into the pump

Old 12-20-2010, 12:46 PM
PonchoRob
Professional

I got the same low heat/no heat blue`s too . i replaced the water pump and t-stat last Dec. , the heater core this spring , and have next to no heat this winter , so far this past weekend i have replaced the t-stat again with a 195* , radiator cap , flushed the heater core in both directions a few times each and got nothing out from it that i seen , and i reversed the hoses on the core , i put the one from the manifold to the bottom of the heater core and the one to the water pump to the top of the heater core , and i have slightly warmer heat now with the fan on low speeds , not high speed ,,, but not like it was before the original heater core went out , i have pulled half of the dash back out to check all the functions of the box under the dash and everything is working like it`s supposed to ,, im beginning to think that it`s a problem with the new core , the original was a big copper / brass one and the new parts store replacement i put in is a smaller & thinner aluminum one ,,,, maybe it`s flowing through the core too fast to dissipate the heat i`ll try a restriction in the return line to the water pump and see if that helps .

Old 12-21-2010, 03:11 AM
Scaryjam8234
Rookie

That's how I thought they were suppose to be. My manifold hose is entering the top and the return is ton the bottom.

Whenever I get to work and get some money for replacement hoses they will be swapped. If that doesn't fix it, a new thermostat.

If that does fix it then a new blend door, heater core and fan. No sense in tearing the dash apart just to replace one thing and another might be the problem. the bearings in my fan are dry anyways so it's gonna quit eventually.

I don't really care if it gets blistering hot, though it would be nice. I work outside so I'll be in the cold all day, just would like a little warmth on the ride to work.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:17 AM
Scaryjam8234
Rookie

I feel ya. I love fixing problems myself and saving money. But if I had the money I'd pay extra to guarantee the problem would be fixed.

I thought it was fine back in the spring when I changed the thermostat and radiator cap and done the tune up. But I guess under 10 degree it fails to heat like it did when it was 70 degrees.

I am hoping that switching the hoses will fix it. I really don't wanna tear into the dash, big pain in the *** lol

Old 12-21-2010, 09:35 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have enough hose just cut it off as close to the heatercore as you can then you can just re attach it when your done

Old 12-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Scaryjam8234
Rookie

I have enough for the one coming out of the manifold, but the one in the water pump will be short by 3 inches if I cut it. I had planned on doing that but oh well.

Quick Reply: heater hose verification