2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Strange un-even brake pad wear

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:04 AM
NYsteve
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange un-even brake pad wear

Took my front wheels off the other day to do a quick rotor swap and noticed that on both sides there was a significant difference in the wear on the brake pads. The inside pad (against the caliper) was about 80% worn while the outside one was practically brand new. Both sides had this problem, and the pads only have about 5k miles on them.

Any ideas as to whats causing this? The truck seems to stop fine, I even locked the front brakes up on dry pavement the other day.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:34 AM
FireFighterHill
Rookie

When you replaced the pads did you lube the slide pins? The caliper in a sense floats on these pins. They allow the outside portion of the caliper to clamp down on the rotor with the same force as the inner portion where the pistons are located. They also help to account for brake wear.

If the pins are corroded and seized that would cause the problem you describe.

With the truck jacked up and the wheel removed and brakes cool you should be able to grab ahold of the caliper and move it back and forth on the slider pins. If it doesnt wanna move or drags and sticks then remove caliper pull the pins and clean the corrosion and lube them. If they are damaged replace them.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:54 AM
ramjamhemi
Professional

The piston could also be sticking, causing slight pressure on the pads while driving and increasing the wear. You'd have to do a search on this problem to see how to fix it. I'm guessing relubing the piston and replacing the dust boot might be necessary.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:46 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's also another issue that seems to be a cause for the wear and it's the rubber portion of the front brake hoses. Over time, they tend to break down inside and allow the fluid to flow out into the caliper but will not allow the fluid to flow back to the master cylinder reservoir thus keeping pressure on the brakes causing the inside pad to wear more than the outside pad. Also as the rubber breaks down, small pieces will be forced into the caliper causing the pistion to stick. Just something to think about.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:48 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its prob the slide on your caliper if they are orignal and you have many miles I would just switch them out I got mine at autozone for 40.00 a piece also got rubber brake lines for 18.00 a piece.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:58 PM
NYsteve
Rookie

Thanks for the info guys. I'll look into all of these suggestions when i put new pads on soon.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Rantz
Veteran

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Its prob the slide on your caliper if they are orignal and you have many miles I would just switch them out I got mine at autozone for 40.00 a piece also got rubber brake lines for 18.00 a piece.
How did you get brake hoses so cheap? They are $60 a piece.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:32 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Rantz
How did you get brake hoses so cheap? They are $60 a piece.
I def didnt pay that much for them I know that but I got mine from napa. I did all my steel brake lines for about 60 so for a rubber brake line 60 a piece is nuts!

Old 12-28-2010, 12:46 AM
Rantz
Veteran

Parts stores don't carry both of the rubber lines that I need. I had to go to a dealership, but they were actually cheaper than what they would have been from the parts store.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:52 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Rantz
Parts stores don't carry both of the rubber lines that I need. I had to go to a dealership, but they were actually cheaper than what they would have been from the parts store.
Yeah autozone or advanced didnt have them my local napa had one but they had to get the other one shipped to their store.

Quick Reply: Strange un-even brake pad wear