2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Idler Pulley Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Motorbreath
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idler Pulley Bearing

So the bearing in my idler pulley is starting to squeal, anyone replace this before? Can I replace the bearing, or do I need to get a whole new pulley?

Old 12-23-2010, 10:51 AM
ramjamhemi
Professional

I don't think you can just do the bearing. If I remember correctly, I got a tensioner pulley from RockAuto for $11 plus shipping. I ordered other stuff at the same time, so shipping for everything was pretty affordable. You might be able to pick one up locally for the same price once you add shipping into it.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Motorbreath
Rookie

thanks. I picked one up from NAPA, I just got the whole pulley, it looks like the bearing is pressed in anyway. I was shocked though, the part was 10 dollars cheaper in the store than online, exact same part number. I'm still getting noise from my belt though. I thought it was the tensioner before and replaced that, but still noise. So I sprayed some WD40 on the idler pulley bearing and the noise went away, so I was convinced it was that. Guess not. Not much left though, I put in a new water pump 2 months ago, so that's good. Next stop is my PS pump, then onto the AC condenser.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:04 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorbreath
thanks. I picked one up from NAPA, I just got the whole pulley, it looks like the bearing is pressed in anyway. I was shocked though, the part was 10 dollars cheaper in the store than online, exact same part number. I'm still getting noise from my belt though. I thought it was the tensioner before and replaced that, but still noise. So I sprayed some WD40 on the idler pulley bearing and the noise went away, so I was convinced it was that. Guess not. Not much left though, I put in a new water pump 2 months ago, so that's good. Next stop is my PS pump, then onto the AC condenser.
Did you try replacing the belt?

Old 12-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Motorbreath
Rookie

belt is brand new, probably only 2k miles on it. well not brand new but went in with new water pump.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:48 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How is the clutch on the fan? My buddy did the same thing started replacing everything and only thing left was the ps pump and I told him to check the clutch and sure enough thats what it was.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Derek2002
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your fan is fine you could try some belt dressing and see if that helps.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:09 PM
DodgeLives
Amateur

If you are carefull you can take a sharp knife and get the grease seal out of the bearing. pack grease in the bearing and replace the seal. I've done it several times on my '98 5.2 last another 100K mi.
Charlie

Old 12-29-2010, 11:46 AM
Motorbreath
Rookie

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
How is the clutch on the fan? My buddy did the same thing started replacing everything and only thing left was the ps pump and I told him to check the clutch and sure enough thats what it was.
yeah, I'm beginning to think that is the culprit. I got a new one and was gonna put it on when I replaced my water pump, but the old one seemed like it was still in good shape so I threw it back in. I still have the other one so I'm gonna replace it this weekend and go from there.

Quick Reply: Idler Pulley Bearing