2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

the infamous TV cable issue..

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:41 PM
jamoka3
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question the infamous TV cable issue..

got a 99 Dakota, 3.9L automatic. I took it to the trans shop a few months ago to see why my trans would hold gear, and shift at high RPM's. They ended up "lubing up my TV linkage", and for several months it shifted great with no issues. Now its acting up again. The question is what did they exactly lube to take care of the shift issue?

any suggestions?

Old 01-06-2011, 01:34 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jamoka3
got a 99 Dakota, 3.9L automatic. I took it to the trans shop a few months ago to see why my trans would hold gear, and shift at high RPM's. They ended up "lubing up my TV linkage", and for several months it shifted great with no issues. Now its acting up again. The question is what did they exactly lube to take care of the shift issue?

any suggestions?
Prob just adjusted the tv cable. They are a pita to get adjusted right and takes many tries but once you get it the tranny will work perfect.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:04 AM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by jamoka3

any suggestions?
Go back to tranny shop. I believe you are referring to the throttle valve cable connection. If it is not functioning correctly and smoothly you can get locked into say third gear or second for that matter, and burn out the tranny. I looked at one that didn't shift properly, owner had not noticed, ya right. Went to Amco with owner, really wanted the truck. Owner would not fix it, lower his price or go 50/50. Needless to say I passed on this vehicle.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:04 PM
jamoka3
Rookie

sorry for pulling up a older post but i can FINALLY say i fixed my T.V. cable issue!!!

Here's what it was.
I properly adjusted the cable up at the throttle body as per the Haynes manule, and followed it down the drivers side of the transmission right above the shift linkage. I noticed that when the gas was pushed all the way down to the floor the TV linage would go back towards the back of the truck, and that there was a return spring that would reset the TV cable back to the start position. Well after 100k miles of back and forth movement that little spring was shot! I then removed that old spring and gave it a good pull and there was little to no return. I had a extra carburetor return spring that was about the same length, but was wound up tighter, and had a much better return when pulled. I slipped the new return spring on ( pain in the ***) and lubed up the cable, and that was it!
Now my truck shifts perfect and has been for over 2 weeks now. That was 100% the issue!

Quick Reply: the infamous TV cable issue..