2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Guys Gals and Gurus.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:37 AM
wewanaplay
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys Gals and Gurus.

Ok yall, I need a little help cause I'm not close to my truck at the moment so I can't check it for myself. What are the specific Diameter, width and offsets for our 16 and 17 inch factory wheels. I've found a set of wheels that I really like and they list them as having our bolt pattern but not listed for our trucks. ???? Ok so anyways, I need the info so I can figure what size and offset I want to fit on there and I'll just order them that way and they'll be sitting there waiting for me when I get home. Next Item i'm wondering about is what all transmissions will interchange with the Magnum 5.2 engine? I'm running a NV3500 but am looking to upgrade.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Pete M
Rookie

upgrade from the 3500? why? blown one up?

Old 01-18-2011, 01:53 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nv4500 but you will need a body lift to fit it in.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:19 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah why would you want something other than the nv3500. For our trucks they are pretty much builtproof. A nv4500 would super overkill for our trucks and power.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:27 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by bpark8824
Yeah why would you want something other than the nv3500. For our trucks they are pretty much builtproof. A nv4500 would super overkill for our trucks and power.
Yeah they came with the cummins and v10's but he wanted to know what the upgrade was from a nv3500 and 4500 is def it lol They def will never wear out behind the dakota thats for sure.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:01 AM
wewanaplay
Veteran

ok, to me a 4500 is not an upgrade. Yes it is stronger and all that but it wont do for my purposed. I am 2wd and will definitely not be doing a body lift. (hell, I wouldn't body lift a 4wd). I am looking for something a bit more "streetable" and still be beefy enough for some towing and hauling, that will bolt to a 5.2. I use my truck a lot on the highway Driving roughly 5 to 8 hundred miles at a time for work. When not working I generally use it to tow a couple of Quads or bikes or camping stuff. every now and then it may see a tow dolly or maybe an actual heavy load on the car hauler. Other than that it enjoys a "spirited" romp through town. I'm hoping to find some kind of 6 speed that will interchange to give me the best of both worlds. My 3500 has served me well but it's fixing to let go (I'm having to skip 3rd gear) and it's time to replace it. might as well upgrade while i'm at it. my only problem with the 3500 is that in my truck, set as it is, it needs a 6th and 7th gear. I realize that I could change my rear ratio but I like my bottom end as it is I just need a bit more overdrive to get my highway attitude right.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Pete M
Rookie

I'm unaware of a trans that would easily fit the bill. though with a *lot* of cash you could swap in a Richmond 6-speed.

there are tons of Jeep guys out there that are insanely jealous of your 3500.

checked the fluid level? I've had manual transmissions before that leaked and when they got low it became difficult to shift into certain gears. Also, try a switch to a full synthetic.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:39 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by wewanaplay
ok, to me a 4500 is not an upgrade. Yes it is stronger and all that but it wont do for my purposed. I am 2wd and will definitely not be doing a body lift. (hell, I wouldn't body lift a 4wd). I am looking for something a bit more "streetable" and still be beefy enough for some towing and hauling, that will bolt to a 5.2. I use my truck a lot on the highway Driving roughly 5 to 8 hundred miles at a time for work. When not working I generally use it to tow a couple of Quads or bikes or camping stuff. every now and then it may see a tow dolly or maybe an actual heavy load on the car hauler. Other than that it enjoys a "spirited" romp through town. I'm hoping to find some kind of 6 speed that will interchange to give me the best of both worlds. My 3500 has served me well but it's fixing to let go (I'm having to skip 3rd gear) and it's time to replace it. might as well upgrade while i'm at it. my only problem with the 3500 is that in my truck, set as it is, it needs a 6th and 7th gear. I realize that I could change my rear ratio but I like my bottom end as it is I just need a bit more overdrive to get my highway attitude right.

keisler 6 speed is about the only option but you have to spend about 3 grand for it and i've read some bad stuff about them or the other route is the nv6500 used behind cummins its a 6 speed but is way overkill. What gears do you have?

Old 01-20-2011, 09:56 AM
wewanaplay
Veteran

Where would I find a bell housing to fit between my 5.2 and Whatever trans? is something like that readily available? Right now I have 3.92 gears in a 8.25" rear. I plan to step up to a 9" in the future but not real sure what I wanna do with the gears yet. Right now it is way too high unless I'm able to find a 6 speed and then it might be ok. but if i stick with the 3500 I'll probably step down to 3.55 or 3.21.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:21 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by wewanaplay
Where would I find a bell housing to fit between my 5.2 and Whatever trans? is something like that readily available? Right now I have 3.92 gears in a 8.25" rear. I plan to step up to a 9" in the future but not real sure what I wanna do with the gears yet. Right now it is way too high unless I'm able to find a 6 speed and then it might be ok. but if i stick with the 3500 I'll probably step down to 3.55 or 3.21.
If you had 3.55's you would be turnin 2k rpms at 70. You could go lower I dont know how the bottom end would be might not be too bad since you have a manual. A set of gears are way cheaper and less work then a 6 speed tranny.

Quick Reply: Guys Gals and Gurus.