2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tires-Please help Tire Noob.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Rabid21
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the BFG A/Ts 235/75 15s (Wish I coulda gone to 30s but cash was tight) I put on my truck about 10k ago. My trucks my daily driver and it gets a taste of everything from Highway, city, traveling, and a good chunk of offroading. They haven't gotten me stuck, haven't hydroplaned at all (We had a very rainy year to btw up here in BC), and the wear life is pretty good so far. I haven't had a chance to try them in the snow yet. but thats fastly approaching so we'll see if I survive this winter lol

My only complaint about my All Terrains is they're pretty touchy when it comes to steering corrections. I noticed a very large difference when i took the Ol Rough Countries it was sporting off it. I don't notice it at all anymore but when the blue moon comes that I let someone drive my truck I have to listen to them complain about it since they've all got plain city tires.

All in all they're a great tire that with the way I drive they I haven't had any issues.
And yes its a 1st gen but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in

Old 10-14-2011, 05:16 PM
ahsnowlover
Veteran

I just put some 31 x10.50 toyo open country at's on my truck this summer and love them, got some snow this last week up in the mountains and found some to drive in and they do great. I paid about $1100 for all four

Old 10-14-2011, 11:10 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ahsnowlover
I just put some 31 x10.50 toyo open country at's on my truck this summer and love them, got some snow this last week up in the mountains and found some to drive in and they do great. I paid about $1100 for all four
Ouch! for 31's no way in hell. Heck my buddy bought 35in cooper stt's for 850.00 brand new

Old 10-14-2011, 11:20 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the deal I found at sears; first its a gimmic; they tried to charge 96 bucks "Handling fees" even though their website said free site to store shipping; or w/e they word it..
plus the price went up; they said it was an error in their system. But either way it comes out the same as in their store.

Today i was in Discount Tire; and
Well I was drooling over the 31" but I really dont want to retune; would put me at doing 74 MPH @ 70 and increase my gear ration by 1.70... plus they are alot more coin than 235 75 15's.

But in any case I'm going to have to pull the trigger on the Grabber AT2's I think.. I've spent more $ than I should have and I simply can't afford the BFG's; with the warranty and everything; but that's the route I'm thinking about going..

But Discount said they will comp the BFG's @ 140 at Tireracks price.

So.. still hope for BFG some what.. but Its looking more like the AT2's

Old 10-14-2011, 11:37 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I never buy tires with a warranty. The bfg's are 6ply and have a 3 ply sidewall so you dont have to worry about sidewall cuts unless you rock crawl everyday. Most holes you will ever get arent any bigger than a nail so I say why pay 100-150 for a tire warranty when I can go get a plug kit and fix it myself for 5.00.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:07 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Just curious; any advantage/disadvantage these over the AT's...

They are 18/32 I guess this is what is catching my eye.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BFG-42575/?rtype=10

Old 10-16-2011, 04:17 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

So.. my wife told me today "I better get the tires I want and stop worring about spending money- its only money; better to spend it and be broke for the month than listen to me bitch for the next year- YOU BETTER GET YOUR TIRES"

So how can I argue about that??? ^_^

So really I understand the following:

Current size options are about 28-29.X inch; so going with a 31 will increase the tire diam. 2 inches

That would raise the truck about 1-2 inches yes? Somewhere in there?

Increase my gear ratio +1.3-1.6 -Should I expect to loose some off road ability with the increase in gear ratio?

Fuel consumption increase- This is where I'm shady; put a smaller tire on and your doing less that what the spedo says and you have to increase RPM to do the same speed thus making engine work more for same speed= increase in fuel consumption;

Even though the bigger tire is a little more heavier to turn; would this not be complete opposite being i would be doing actuall about 74.? when spedo says I'm doing 70.

So before I get a pair of 31's maybee some of you can chime in on what you got when you went from stock size to 31" or w/e you have now so i can get an idea what increase/decrease ill be facing to see if the benefits of a 31" tire outweigh the cons.

Or just answer in the simplest of terms?

Sorry for all the questions; I just wanna make sure I'm doing right here; spending the amount i am. I'm tired of just throwing w/e at this and having **** poor results.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:08 PM
chris1996
Veteran

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
So.. my wife told me today "I better get the tires I want and stop worring about spending money- its only money; better to spend it and be broke for the month than listen to me bitch for the next year- YOU BETTER GET YOUR TIRES"

So how can I argue about that??? ^_^

So really I understand the following:

Current size options are about 28-29.X inch; so going with a 31 will increase the tire diam. 2 inches

That would raise the truck about 1-2 inches yes? Somewhere in there?

Increase my gear ratio +1.3-1.6 -Should I expect to loose some off road ability with the increase in gear ratio?

Fuel consumption increase- This is where I'm shady; put a smaller tire on and your doing less that what the spedo says and you have to increase RPM to do the same speed thus making engine work more for same speed= increase in fuel consumption;

Even though the bigger tire is a little more heavier to turn; would this not be complete opposite being i would be doing actuall about 74.? when spedo says I'm doing 70.

So before I get a pair of 31's maybee some of you can chime in on what you got when you went from stock size to 31" or w/e you have now so i can get an idea what increase/decrease ill be facing to see if the benefits of a 31" tire outweigh the cons.

Or just answer in the simplest of terms?

Sorry for all the questions; I just wanna make sure I'm doing right here; spending the amount i am. I'm tired of just throwing w/e at this and having **** poor results.
i will tell you something my dak came with 31 and i dont have any problems with it i have almost the same mpg than most in the forum and i most times drives normally yes i sometimes floor it but dont change a lot in off road the gear ratio dont compare with floor clearance i will told you to go with 31

Old 10-16-2011, 06:46 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

Honestly, you'll be fine with 31's. If my 3.9 can do it, your 5.2 will certainly be able to do it, and probably handle it better. And yeah I got the grabbers because of the price. If I had the money, I'd have bought the BFG's. But I didn't, so I went with a less expensive but comparable alternative. Good luck with whatever choice you make man.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:55 PM
ahsnowlover
Veteran

I have the 3.9 with 31's and my truck does great off road and I can average 15 in the city and any where from 20 - 25 on the highway depending on how fast I feel like driving, so you should do just fine with them.

Quick Reply: Tires-Please help Tire Noob.