2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Vibration after replacing rear differential

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:34 PM
JayDee240
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration after replacing rear differential

The other day while I was driving down the road, my c clamp slipped out and sent my axle left while I went right. I got it home and the differential was all jacked up. The thrust washers were all in pieces and gears were chipped on nearly every tooth. I got a new differential. This is the first time I've ever worked on a rear so please bare with my terminology. To get the gear tooth pattern correct, there are threaded adjusters on each side of the bearings rather than shims. I adjusted them until the pattern was perfect, then I tightened them both fairly tight. These push the outside bearing ring tighter on the bearings and hold the differential tighter into place. I think this is where I went wrong. Can these adjusters be tightened too tight? Basically the vibration that I have is when I accelerate from a dead stop. It feels like I'm running over rumble strips and it only lasts less than a second. Other than the the truck drives fine without any noticeable problems. Has anyone ever worked on these rears and know how tight the adjusters should be? I hate to tear it all apart again just to loosen the adjusters but if that's what's causing my vibration problem, I'll do it.
This is a 1997 4x4 Dakota ext. cab if that matters.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Xxaler
Professional

If you're getting it when accelerating from a dead stop, something is loose causing gear lash and what you're feeling is the kick from the drive shaft to the gears.

If anything, you need to tighten more.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:19 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default hard ?

Never worked on a Diff are they hard to do correctly a pain in the behind or easy with the correct tools calipers so on.

I may replace my diff gears with a different set some time or get a rearend off a crashed Dak looking to get the disk drakes and a 9.50 3.92 geared diff to replace my older 8.25 3.55 geared rearend with the crappy 9 inch brakes that suck.

Also looking to replace my driveshaft with an aluminum shaft my 2.5L needs all the help it can get.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 10-24-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:56 PM
JayDee240
Rookie

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Never worked on a Diff are they hard to do correctly a pain in the behind or easy with the correct tools calipers so on.

I may replace my diff gears with a different set some time or get a rearend off a crashed Dak looking to get the disk drakes and a 9.50 3.92 geared diff to replace my older 8.25 3.55 geared rearend with the crappy 9 inch brakes that suck.

Also looking to replace my driveshaft with an aluminum shaft my 2.5L needs all the help it can get.
Replacing the differential seemed simple. It took me about 3 hours to do everything : old one out, new one in, adjusted(incorrectly), and filled with 3 pints 75w-90 gear oil with additive. For the whole job I only used 4 different sockets, some lipstick, a small hammer, and a small tent stake.
I didn't touch the pinion gear so I don't know anything about that, but I think it also needs changed if you're changing gears.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:45 PM
New 2 Dodge
Professional

OK, I have the same issue. It could be - worn U joints or an issue with the driveshaft. I was reading up on this and there are some specifications that need to be correct between the driveshaft angle etc. I will find it and post the link here.

http://arrc.epnet.com/autoapp/8960/8..._BALANCING.htm

Last edited by New 2 Dodge; 10-28-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:54 PM
JayDee240
Rookie

Originally Posted by New 2 Dodge
OK, I have the same issue. It could be - worn U joints or an issue with the driveshaft. I was reading up on this and there are some specifications that need to be correct between the driveshaft angle etc. I will find it and post the link here.

http://arrc.epnet.com/autoapp/8960/8..._BALANCING.htm
I have play in my transfer case, u joints are fine. I have always had play in the driveshaft, this new rumblestrip feeling is in addition to my driveshaft play. It has to be something with the differential, that's the only thing that changed. I'm not worried about it, atleast my wheels stay on now, that's what I was worried about.

Quick Reply: Vibration after replacing rear differential