2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Spark plugs...narrowing selections down.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:41 AM
macgollabhride
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Spark plugs...narrowing selections down.

I know that I'm probably beating a dead horse/ ultimately splitting hairs with this topic and I don't care to invite battles on personal preference but after combing through several different Dakota specific forums for ideal spark plugs for my Dakota's 3.9 V6 Magnum (4X4 Club Cab), it looks like there are three favorites. I just want a useful plus/minus as to why you like them/what they did or didn’t do for you or overall, what was “it” that made up your decision.

But real quick: The E3.48's, are they really a joke or are they getting unjustly compared to the Rapid-fires from the 1990s? The idea is basically the same but technology has changed since then - I'm just looking for useful Info (good or bad) from folks who have dealt the E3s.

So these seem like the three favorites:
Autolite 3923
(I don’t know if they were Copper, Iridium or platinum core but I would like to know this)
Why (generally):
Inexpensive.
Smoothes idle.
Improves overall performance.
Ideal for older and Magnum engines that cannot utilize hotter plugs.

Bosch Platinum 4 (I don’t have a part or series number)
Improved overall performance
Improved MPG
Too hot for Magnum engines

NGK 7252 FR5-1 V-Power
Inexpensive.
Very popular but not a lot of back story as to why.
Tends to ping.

I'm wide-open for opinions and hoping to help other members with this post but I'm also hoping for feedback on specifically the 3.9 V6 Magnum (if possible).

Thoughts?

Old 12-05-2011, 07:05 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used both the NGK's and Autolites in my 4.7 and they have both seem to run great. I switched to the NGK's for my 4.7 because I believe I read that the 3.9 and 5.2 like the Autolites better. Really I don't think you'll be disappointed with either one.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:00 AM
ksJoe
Rookie

When there's lots of good options, I narrow down by who has the best rebate.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:45 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 5.2 loves the 3923's Cheap and effective. I've heard so many people say E3's are so much better. I dont really see how they are compared to other much cheaper plugs out there. No way in hell would I ever pay 6.99 for a plug. I got all my plugs for 13.00. Im going to try ngk's next time. Ive ran them in atv's for years. So what the hell see how they do in my truck.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:55 AM
macgollabhride
Professional

Right-on, thanks for the heads-up.

One last thing; there are a few different types of the Autolite 3923's: Copper core, Platinum, double Platinum, XP3923 Xtreme Performance Iridium and so on. I think I'm gonna try the Autolite 3923 copper-core first or maybe the Iridiums; if they don't feel right, I'll give the NGK's a shot.

I'll be revisiting this thread again, once I get them installed.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark plugs...narrowing selections down.