2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Truck evaluation. To keep or to move on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:14 PM
jamoka3
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck evaluation. To keep or to move on?

I have a 99 Dakota 4X4 extended cab, it just hit over 101,000 miles. It runs strong, overall and mechanically its sound. Its paid off, and I only pay about 650 bucks a year on car insurance, so that's a plus.
SO... here is my overall truck evaluation / check list. Tell me what you think. Should I move on or keep the Dakota and throw some cash at her?

Heres what I figure it needs VERY soon.
Upper ball joints (both), and control arm bushings.(both)
Shocks (4).
Tie rod ends. (2)

Heres what it needs in the next few months.
Complete tune up(cap, rotor, plugs and wires. and probably a new coil soon)
Front and rear diff service (aka fluid change.)
Serpentine belt and my a/c compressor makes noise / oil?
New tires 31"( has stock 29" beaters going bald on 15"rims) and an alignment.

Things that bother me about this truck.
Hvac controller stuck on vents at all times.
No power door locks.
Open rear diff, I HATE the one wheel peel, (about $875 bucks to install a posi, that included parts and labor at my local shop.)
Lack of performance (3.9L) maybe ~super chips tuner?
Crappy gas mileage.
Transfer case still leaks even after a rebuild. (slow drip but still annoying)
Wheel wells starting to show signs of rust.

So I'm to the point of should I keep my truck and put "X" amounts of dollars into it or should I just trade it in and move on?

what do you think?

Old 12-07-2011, 07:09 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I say keep it, fix it, drive it and be happy you don't have a truck payment. There is a tremendous sense of security in not owing anybody anything on your truck. My own truck is paid for and I plan to keep it until the day I die or the wheels fall off of it, whatever happens first. Sure, it might need to be fixed here and there but I think that is way better than paying some bank or finance company a $300.00 or $400.00 truck payment every single month.

I know nothing about 4 wheel drives but I think the things you listed that your truck needs are nowhere out of the ordinary, especially at 101K. Tune-ups, diff fluid changes, serpentine belts are not hard at all on the 3.9, ball joints can be a pain on 4 wheel drives, but is not impossible, lots of 4 wheel drive Dakota guys here have done their own ball joints for a lot less than the dealer or a tire shop would charge. The bad gas mileage might be due to the oversized tires, I don't know a lot about that. I know I get right about 17 mpg in combined city and highway driving on my 235/75R15 BFG Long Trails, but that is pretty much a stock sized tire.

You can add power door locks to your truck, and a remote keyless entry too, they are not that hard to do or it doesn't cost a whole lot to pay a good stereo/alarm shop to do it. Shocks and tie rod ends are not hard to do and you can get good prices on good quality parts if you shop around online and have the time to wait for shipping.

Sounds to me like your truck might need some work, but nothing too terribly serious. I don't know anything about fixing the vent problem on a 1999 Dakota, my 2001 is electronically controlled, yours is mechanical/vacuum actuated. I know nothing about replacing the control arm bushings on a 4 wheel drive, either. I do know it is a lot better to fix a truck here and there and sleep good at night knowing it is yours and it is paid for. Repairs and parts might cost money sometimes but it is still a lot less than making a monthly truck payment to a fat cat banker for 5 or 6 years.

Just my 2 cents on it..

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 12-07-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:10 PM
New 2 Dodge
Professional

well here's what I got from your post:
It only needs minor repairs and minor replacement of everyday wear and tear items but at the end - you know what you have.

But -
You do not like the fact that it does not have power locks
You would prefer to have a more powerful engine
Rust - it's bound to happen
Mileage - I hear you bud - mine is a pig.

To me it sounds like you would be happier with a newer truck - there is nothing wrong with that.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:32 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up I think she is a keeper my answer

Here’s what I figure it needs VERY soon.
Upper ball joints (both), and control arm bushings.(both)
Shocks (4).
Tie rod ends. (2)

Answer easy and low cost to fix just a pain in the ***
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Here’s what it needs in the next few months.
Complete tune up(cap, rotor, plugs and wires. and probably a new coil soon)
Front and rear diff service (aka fluid change.)
Serpentine belt and my a/c compressor makes noise / oil?
New tires 31"( has stock 29" beaters going bald on 15"rims) and an alignment.

Tune up easy and cheap will probably fix your bad gas mileage somewhat. Diff service very easy oil is a little pricy, serpentine belt easy fix cheap.
You’re A/C is repairable by you but time consuming sounds like new compressor Freon seals dryer orifice tube and a few other small parts you may need to remove your dash to fix your other A/C problems vent system screwed up and check the A/C Evaporator Core and heater Core at same time.

Tires I will leave to you dont aline front till you fix the front end
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++
Things that bother me about this truck.
Hvac controller stuck on vents at all times.
No power door locks.
Open rear diff, I HATE the one wheel peel, (about $875 bucks to install a posi, that included parts and labor at my local shop.)
Lack of performance (3.9L) maybe ~super chips tuner?
Crappy gas mileage.
Transfer case still leaks even after a rebuild. (slow drip but still annoying)
Wheel wells starting to show signs of rust.

Get the A/C system fixed so you can become comfortable again Power locks big deal so what I say. The one wheel peel is in part due to your bad tires as I see so new tires will fix that somewhat. Lack of performance I say just slowly work at that don’t stress on that you have a dependable strong truck that’s paid off. Gas mileage will improve with that tune up and NEW tires. Transfer case leak get to it when you get to it put that on the back burner.

Wheel wells I’m not from a place that gets so much rust in fact no rust so you decide on that

I think she is a keeper my answer

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 12-07-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:00 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking power locks

After market power locks can be added very easy to do.

When I had a alarm system installed I had power locks installed also.

http://www.autoloc.com/

Old 12-07-2011, 10:00 PM
midnight03dakota

Mine has 135,xxx on it and I know what you mean with the gas mileage, the shocks, ball joints, tires, and rust (to a certain extent). Mine is a bit newer, 03, but to be honest I have been at the point of almost driving it off a cliff because it made me so mad, but in the end I know that after tossing a little bit of money into it, it will be worth it in the long run. The way I look at it is, if you were to buy another truck, what is to say it would not have issues and be a money pit? You know what is needed to make your truck the way you want it. Its a matter whether or not you are ready to pay the money into the truck.

I will say, my 4.7 does make me happy though.

Quick Reply: Truck evaluation. To keep or to move on?