DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech-67/)
-   -   brake/abs light comes on-off on 02 2wheel dakota? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/317389-brake-abs-light-comes-on-off-on-02-2wheel-dakota.html)

fixin71 02-05-2012 09:09 PM

brake/abs light comes on-off on 02 2wheel dakota?

What could be the cause of the dash lights coming on/off? (the abs braking system is fine driving truck, but can be scary when towing & you just want truck to stop!) :icon_steer:

00DakDan 02-05-2012 09:54 PM

Just to clarify, both the ABS light and the Brake Warning light (park brake) both are coming on?

The brake warning light could indicate a problem with the hydraulic system. It's triggered by a pressure difference between the two halves of the brake system or the park brake.

Start with the basics. How's the fluid? Any visible leaks? Are the brakes adjusted (if rear drum)?

The ABS should store a fault code. Your regular code reader can't do it but a DRB at the dealer, or any good brake shop, should be able to read the code.

fixin71 02-05-2012 10:00 PM

abs & brake light

both abs & brake light come on at times then flash off. I did ask a local parts store to read the code, but they said they couldn't perform test? I am not having any braking issues with my truck. I just replaced my pads/rotors recently & replaced brake fluid with new.

00DakDan 02-05-2012 10:20 PM

Assuming you can rule out a mechanical issue, then you need to get it read.

Dealer or brake shop. It's not a standard code reader.

fixin71 02-05-2012 10:47 PM

02 dakota abs/brake light

Thanks for your advice on my issue, will check into getting codes read by a brake shop.

moparman_2004 02-06-2012 02:28 AM

Also check your wheel speed sensors I had a truck that the abs brake light would come on at 54 mph then go off when truck shut off and back one once I hit 54 again

bpark8824 02-06-2012 01:31 PM

It could be the ABS sensor over the rear diff. Is your speedo working perfectly?

tdidog 02-10-2012 03:32 PM

ME TOO! I can read the codes, though. I have one for mismatch VIN and one for brake light switch circuit. I watched the brake switch signal and it was flakey open and closed, so that got replaced. But they still come on for a few seconds after start-up then go off. This is AFTER the bulb check. Am I to assume that this isn't normal?

fixin71 02-12-2012 02:25 PM

Update... I went to O'Reillys Auto Parts store today & found out that their new code tester for abs won't work with dodge, etc... Oh well I will just have to contact my local brake/tire shop & see if they can test for the abs/brake code issue. :(

fixin71 08-26-2012 12:09 AM

I just replaced the abs speed sensor located on the rear axle. Then I took my 02' truck to my local tire/brake shop for a code reset. The reset only lasted for a short while, then the dash abs/brake light came back on. What else do I need to do to fix this issue?