2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

03 Dakota A/C & Heat issues no fan!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:58 AM
USFMD82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Dakota A/C & Heat issues no fan!

Hello

For a while now the AC and Heat worked fine unless I put the fan speed on high then there was nothing coming out at all. I just dealt with this issue as it wasn't an annoyance to just leave set it at whatever speed. This was fixed previously as well and worked for a while then stopped again.

This morning I got in and put on the defrost, now there is no air coming out at any speed or setting (defrost top vent low vent a/c etc)heat or AC. I am gathering that It may be the resistor but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts before I go screwing around with stuff. Also anyone know of a site with pictures or a video how to fix the part if that is what it is.

Thank you in advance for your assistance

Old 03-28-2012, 12:07 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A lot of dodges have problems with the resistor. That is why your fan only works on high. Now the case regarding no fan at all is that plug has prob melted and shorted so it prob blew a fuse some where. I would check the fuses to make sure then go from there.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:29 PM
USFMD82

Thanks not sure if this changes your response but for a long time the fan worked in everything but high, and now not at all

Ill check the fuses tonight. as I understand if its the resistor that a fairly quick and easy fix right? and the part should be under $20?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:54 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

So one day it just happened to work in high but not the other speeds like it used to? The resistor is about a 20.00 part easy to change if thats you problem

Old 03-28-2012, 01:16 PM
USFMD82

Sorry.. It happened 2 times, I replaced something at the auto shop once on it. But the fan worked fine on all speeds then one day it stopped working in high it would just shut off all other speeds it was fine. I just dealt with it then figured while other work was getting done id have it fixed worked fine in high and all other speeds then one day high didn't work but all other speeds did. Now as of this morning none of the speeds work.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:44 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Well I would check to see if you are getting power there. It could be your fan switch on your dash.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:23 PM
ibcnul8r
Professional

I think you should probably replace both the Fan motor and the resistor. As far as "how to" instructions. See if this site has a video for you to view. I've used this website for some replacement parts in the past. Great site

http://www.1aauto.com/

They have a library of "How To' Videos you can browse through. Not sure if they'll have what you're looking for.

Give it a shot!!

Old 03-28-2012, 02:26 PM
ibcnul8r
Professional

Forgot to mention....I just replaced my fan motor AND resistor. I was down to just one speed. And I didn't want to wait till I had "No" speed on my heat. Do them both at the same time.

Just my opinion/two cents.

Good Luck!!!

Old 03-28-2012, 03:15 PM
copperleaf

I had the same problem and replaced the resistor. Was $14 from the dealer. I was told that if the resistor fails again in the next six months that the fan motor will probably have to be replaced too.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:38 AM
USFMD82

Thanks for the insight everyone, now this has taken a weird turn. starting on the way home last night the fan began working again (still every setting except high). But it will go for a few minutes then sort of stall 2 seconds later start back up again. This happened both while I was stopped completely and while moving so I don't believe it has to do with movement.

This morning same story started up, no air about 10 minutes after driving the air started up again and would go in and out working for about 5 min or so stall for about 2 seconds then go again for about 5 min.

Another thing the time difference between this issue starting and the prior issue (all fan setting except high was a good 10 months or so.

Does this new information assist anyone in making a different diagnosis. I just don't want to replace something that may not need replacing.

Quick Reply: 03 Dakota A/C & Heat issues no fan!