2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Last issue to fix on my list: Upper vents do not blow air…

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:56 PM
macgollabhride
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Last issue to fix on my list: Upper vents do not blow air…

I’ve finally taken care of the serious mechanical problems in my truck and now I only have one last remaining issue… I’ll explain the best I can…

When I first got my Dakota the defrost vents blew air (still does) but the dash vents do not (never have for me) and I cannot tell if the floor vents do or not.

I took it back to the jerks that sold me the truck to have them check it out and they said that they couldn’t fix it.
I can’t remember what they said as far as why but they’ve been completely useless the whole time anyways and I won’t go back to them ever again – not matter what.

After taking it to those guys, I now have a piece of painters tape over the hot/cool **** and now its stuck on heat no matter what position the **** is in.

I’ve been looking around here and on other sites for direction/answers but I’m not sure if the venting issue is separate from the heat/cool **** issue.

I didn’t find much but this is what I have to work with so far:

Edmunds

Fixya

Another Dodge Forum

Note: I do have factory A/C in my Dakota.

Anyone else have an issue like this? Am I on the right track here?

Last edited by macgollabhride; 04-12-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention that I do have A/C in my Dakota
Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Do you have a/c or not?

The temp issue is separate. The temperature is controlled by a cable actuated door. The defrost/panel issue is vacuum operated.

If you aren't getting vacuum to the control head (*****) it will default to defrost. Near the power brake booster, in the smaller vacuum line, there should be a plastic check valve. It may have failed.

You can check for vacuum at the control head too. Just pull the connector off.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:25 PM
macgollabhride
Professional
Thumbs up

I do have A/C - meant to note that on my post.

I'll take a look at what you're explaining tomorrow morning. This summer is gonna be even hotter with my black truck and no A/C so, I wanna jump on this ASAP!

Thanks for your help! I'll update this thread if I find anything.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:48 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb Look at this

macgollabhride

Look at this on another forum it shows the complete disassembly of the dash and all its parts very informative and should be exactly like your 98 Dakota pay attention to all the fine points like the A/C control module that is where your problem is I think so check it out.

With lots of Pictures

Or your problem may be in the box the flapper.

The link http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98729

I’m installing a used A/C control board next week my fan speed control has broken and I get no high speed fan anymore so I’m swapping my unit out for an ebay used one.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 04-13-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:30 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Lightbulb vacume lines and so on

Now my 1998 Dak is the 2.5 but the vacume lines should be the same and in the same places my vacume tank is under the hood vent cowl.

The vacume one way valve should be in same spot also.

The smaller vacume line feeding off the other line goes to the A/C box inside the cab.

In the cab you will find these vacume lines also all my lines are green in color and look like electrical wires but are very flexible and have clear little elbows were it connects into whatever it is being used by sounds confusing don’t it.

One way to check if your system is holding pressure is with truck off pull the top of the one way valve line off it should hiss then you know your tank is holding pressure.

This is the Dash A/C three way controller see the same connectors in the last Pic that is how they connect from the controller to the A/C Box get the connections now?

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 04-13-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:03 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Def. sounds like a loss of vacuum somewhere in the system.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:57 PM
macgollabhride
Professional
Thumbs up

98DAKAZ,

Your replies are gonna help me out a lot! I tend to drag my feet when I only have a verbal or written description of something that I need to work on but when there are pictures or illustrations involved, I am able to better visualize what I need to do. The fact that I have a definitive photo of the parts and their locations is probably the best launch point for me.
Thank you again!

As far as the flappers go, I'm mighty sure that they're all shot - I don't hear that 'thump' sound anywhere in/under the dash when I turn the ****. I've seen videos on replacing them and it looks like a total nightmare. With all that can go wrong behind a 14 year old truck (brittle plastics, rusted fasteners and parts that are irreplaceable) I will probably leave that up to a professional...but we'll see.

Jondakotaguy,
Looks like all fingers point to the vacuum hoses. I appreciate you backing up this theory - give me more confidence when everyone agrees.

I guess all I need to do now is to give myself a good pep-talk and get out there and see what's what. I'll keep you guys updated.

Thanks again all!

Old 04-14-2012, 06:23 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Talking check my other post

Check my other post Well here we go again A/C fan

Im replacing my A/C controler next week.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:29 PM
macgollabhride
Professional
Thumbs up

Definitely - I've been following that thread closely.

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Check my other post Well here we go again A/C fan

Im replacing my A/C controler next week.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:55 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Talking One more for you

macgollabhride

One more Pic for you this is the vacuum tank under the cowl I was putting everything back together today and snapped a Pic for Ya.

Quick Reply: Last issue to fix on my list: Upper vents do not blow air…