2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Had an accident, but I didn't.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 10:41 PM
dirtbiker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Had an accident, but I didn't.

Hey all,

Just wanted to see how this sounds to you guys...

So I'm stopped at a light, in the right turn lane. Car in front of me starts to go (light is red, but no cars coming and right on red is allowed), so I start moving up. All of the sudden, car in front of me slams on brakes for no apparent reason, and I slam on mine, coming very close but didn't hit her. She goes around the corner and pulls over, I see that she pulled over, so I do as well just to be sure nothing happened. I get out of my truck, she jumps out of hers freaking out, yelling and the whole 9 yards. I said "I didn't hit you", and walk to the rear of her vehicle, and observe that there is no damage. No scratches, no blemishes, no paint, no nothing. FLAWLESS rear bumper. Only noticeable thing was that the little plastic hitch cover (one of these things: http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com.../4378_1_lg.jpg) looked as if someone improperly re-latched it. Part of it was hanging down, and a simple push at the bottom of the cover would've fixed it.

However, lady calls cops, they come and give me a ticket because I had previous damage on my truck. From the cop's standpoint, I guess I would've given me a ticket too, but looking at the back of her car, I am confused as to why I got ticketed. The bumper on my truck was and has been cracked, and one of the fog lights was cracked from something else. I have plenty of people who know my truck was previously damaged, in addition to the fact that I already drilled holes at the end of the cracks a long time ago. There's no way any of my damage was from this anyways, because there was no contact what so ever.

To me, it sounds like someone is trying to milk the insurance company, and they thought that they found someone they could get away with it with. I'm really pissed off by this whole thing, because there's no reason this should've happened in the first place, and the woman was a total b!tch. And at this point, it's basically my word (I'm a 17 year old kid) versus her word (40 some odd year old scary looking woman). However, my mom was with me, and she didn't feel any impact either. I've got like 20 pictures of other woman's car to prove no damage was done, and like I said I've got lots of witnesses to the damage that was already on my truck.

On a side note, this woman is really just screwing herself over... She's filing an accident report with the state, so it's going to go on the carfax for that vehicle... It's a 2011 too. So, when she goes to trade it in the dealer or whoever will look at the carfax and give quite a bit less due to the "accident" that occured. I guess that's going to be her karma, or at least I hope it is.

The main thing I'm worried about is what my insurance company is going to do after this. Hopefully they'll see nothing happened and that my damage was there before, but if they don't my rates could jump, or worse yet they could drop me. All because the woman claims that I hit her, which I didn't. I guarantee I didn't even tap her bumper, because like I said, there was absolutely NO marks on her bumper, and NOTHING (other than previous damage) on mine.

My question is what do you guys think of this, have any of you had something similar happen? This really seems to me like they're trying to pull some kind of insurance scam on me and what's even more frustrating is knowing I'm telling the truth and that I didn't hit her at all, and she's lying. But since I'm a youngin', people are a lot less likely to believe my side of the story. I hope my insurance company fights this thing, I don't think it should be too hard, because like I said, there's absolutely no damage on her vehicle.

EDIT: And also, for you guys who have read any of my previous threads, you may have seen one entitled "Third time!!! Unbelievable!" (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...elievable.html), and that's when the cracks in my bumper are from.

Last edited by dirtbiker; 04-20-2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: More details
Old 04-20-2012, 10:55 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

She probably figured you were an easy mark. A 17 year old with a "beat up" truck.

Contest the ticket for sure. The cop didn't see anything.

You have pictures of the condition of your truck BEFORE the "accident." Take some now. Did you take any of her car? Bring them to court.

Good luck.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:01 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

I have lots of pictures of my truck (before this incident), you can probably see the cracks in the pics, plus I took some ones of it yesterday too (after). I also took around 20 pictures of hers, just to show that there's no damage to her vehicle. Thanks man, it's people like these that make the world a worse place.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:08 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah.. there is always someone out there wanting to screw someone over for money.. fight that mess.. take screen shots of that post.. make sure the URL is clearly visiable; hell even pdf print it and take it to cort with you.. the judge can go to this webiste and take a look at the post and date/time stamp and see the photo's him self..

Old 04-21-2012, 11:09 AM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely contest this. Obviously this lady is just trying to get a free buck.

Like DakDan said, bring every picture you have to court so you can prove the damage was there before. There is ZERO proof you hit this lady so it can't stand in court. If you bring the pictures I can't see the ticket standing.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Vladek
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks!!! fight the ticket and get it kicked. otherwise insurance will bend you over. it may cost alot now. but it may save your butt in the future. even if you have to have a lawyer. because your are younger than 25. you really need to cross your t's and dot your i's in this too.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:32 PM
5hundo
Professional

Fight the ticket, dude. If this lady is into insurance fraud, she will have tried similar stunts in the past. If not, then at least it will be on record for the next time she tries to do this.

I had a guy try that when I was lane-splitting on my motorcycle. He jumped out of his car and said "you hit me". My response "I'm on a motorcycle, bro. If I hit a car, I assure you that I would have felt something."

The police came to my work, interviewed me, nothing ever came of it...

Old 04-21-2012, 02:25 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
Yeah.. there is always someone out there wanting to screw someone over for money.. fight that mess.. take screen shots of that post.. make sure the URL is clearly visiable; hell even pdf print it and take it to cort with you.. the judge can go to this webiste and take a look at the post and date/time stamp and see the photo's him self..
It's too bad I didn't post any pictures on that thread... Oh well.

Originally Posted by bpark8824
Definitely contest this. Obviously this lady is just trying to get a free buck.

Like DakDan said, bring every picture you have to court so you can prove the damage was there before. There is ZERO proof you hit this lady so it can't stand in court. If you bring the pictures I can't see the ticket standing.
I fully intend on fighting the ticket. I am going to bring the pictures of hers and mine, and the witnesses that my damage was already there. Also, my insurance company is coming out to measure where my DAMAGE is versus her "damage" (non-existent damage) is. They're also going to take pictures, and I hope whoever is going to her car laughs when they see that nothing is wrong.

Originally Posted by Vladek
That sucks!!! fight the ticket and get it kicked. otherwise insurance will bend you over. it may cost alot now. but it may save your butt in the future. even if you have to have a lawyer. because your are younger than 25. you really need to cross your t's and dot your i's in this too.
Yes I will have a lawyer (family friend) help me out.

Originally Posted by 5hundo
Fight the ticket, dude. If this lady is into insurance fraud, she will have tried similar stunts in the past. If not, then at least it will be on record for the next time she tries to do this.

I had a guy try that when I was lane-splitting on my motorcycle. He jumped out of his car and said "you hit me". My response "I'm on a motorcycle, bro. If I hit a car, I assure you that I would have felt something."

The police came to my work, interviewed me, nothing ever came of it...
That's just ridiculous of that guy.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Dakota Greg
Professional

Funny thing is, she will be caught for fraud, have a accident report on a new car and likely be uninsured if not her license revoked. This is a situation where someone tries to screw you and they will get screwed.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:57 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

Originally Posted by Dakota Greg
Funny thing is, she will be caught for fraud, have a accident report on a new car and likely be uninsured if not her license revoked. This is a situation where someone tries to screw you and they will get screwed.
How do you think she could get caught for fraud? Just by there being a false report of an accident? The problem is that the cop still gave me the ticket... PM me if you have anything to say that shouldn't be said publicly lol

Quick Reply: Had an accident, but I didn't.