2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New Dakota owner w/ Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:55 PM
gregorymoore
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Dakota owner w/ Problem

Hello all! I just Purchased a 2004 Dakota w/ the 3.7 v6 Quad cab 4x4 and 5 speed. I really like the truck and I got a really great deal on it so I couldn't pass it up!

BUT! I was driving it home and I turned the lights on as it was turning to dusk and the internal dash lights didn't come on! the headlights and every other dummy light in the whole truck comes on except for the internal dash lights! anyone have any idea of why or what could cause that?

I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow but I figured I'd throw it out here because I think these communities usually know more about the truck than the dealers anyway.

Anyhow, it's nice to meet you all and I look forward to being a long lasting Dakota owner & member of the forum!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:02 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What do you mean dash lights like all the heater control lights and stuff or gauge cluster lights?

Old 05-09-2012, 08:08 PM
gregorymoore

Yeah, like all the back-lights to the gauges & the radio & the heater, all of them. It's weird, they worked on my way home from the dealer & I made a stop & then when I went to turn my lights on again & BAM! nothing.

I keep feeling like I'm an idiot and I just switched something off but I've checked everything including all the fuses. I'm also pretty mechanically inclined and understand electrical OK, I tear apart old bikes and rebuild them so I'm not a total novice when it comes to vehicles & I feel like I checked everything.

Thanks for the response!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Vladek
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm sure you check this. but what about your dimmer switch next to your light switch?

Old 05-10-2012, 05:50 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vladek
i'm sure you check this. but what about your dimmer switch next to your light switch?
^^^This. Roll the thumb wheel on the headlight switch up and you should have dash lights again.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:46 AM
Vladek
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that be the one. i have made that mistake before.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:02 AM
gregorymoore

yeah, I've definitely tried that... A LOT! haha. That's what I figured it was initially but to no avail. I'm thinking it's a switch or a connection? from what I've read there's 4 bulbs back there and I don't see how they could have all blown out at the same time. I'll call the dealer today.

Thanks for the input!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:51 AM
DakCC4x4
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check the fuse panel? Could be a blown fuse.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:55 PM
gregorymoore

I did check the fuse box(s) but I suppose I should check again. Thanks.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:25 PM
gregorymoore

OK, so after some searching around on the internet & looking the truck up and down I've discovered that the running lights are not working either. The headlights are working but no running lights.

This leads me to believe that the problem lies somewhere in or around the switch. It's either a totally bad switch or a bad connection of some kind.

Anyone have a clue as to how to pull the headlight switch out without pulling the whole dash off?

Quick Reply: New Dakota owner w/ Problem