2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

is it possible to damage valves with only a cat on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Brian_
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy is it possible to damage valves with only a cat on?

so im wondering about my truck. right now shes sitting with a catback only, no muffler on at the moment.

long story short i was switching exhausts to a flowmaster 40. my old muffler wouldn't slide off the piping, so i had to end up sawzalling it off. i got some fancy adapters and had the 40 on and was going down rt30 one day. then i hear a bang clank clank clank, it fell off so for the last couple days ive been driving with only a cat, sounds okay but got annoying.

so i bought a y to go after the cat with a flange (can take it off for straight cat back or leave on for muffler flow), to muffler, to tail pipe. im going to weld it all up, so i dont have the p.o.s. fall off again.

now i went to my dads buddys house for the weekend to undercoat my truck, change rear diff fluid, and patch the frame. he stated that with my loud obnoxious truck that i could damage my valves. now from my research there is mixed opinions on this topic? any thoughts?

Old 08-06-2012, 12:01 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, total BS.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:49 AM
hanleysh
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been running mine with no muffler for over 3 yrs now..... No issues I've noticed. Mines an 03 qc w/ the 5.9

Old 08-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Brian_
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alrighty thank you for clearing that up, now say i get a highflow cat will there still be enough back pressure? and any cats you guys recommend, mine rattles and i figure its time for a new one

Old 08-06-2012, 07:43 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran with just a cat for over a year and never had a problem.

Quick Reply: is it possible to damage valves with only a cat on?