2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dakota Transmission slowing truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:35 PM
pervtor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota Transmission slowing truck

I couldn't find any of this information here so I decided to start a new thread.

I have a 2002 Dakota, 4.7 v8, automatic w/o overdrive.

Symptom:
1) When I put the transmission in Drive or Reverse it would feel like the brakes where binding up. It literately wouldn't move until you started pushing the gas peddle. Even on a hill it wouldn't roll from the gravity!

2) When slowing to a stop, at about 3mph you could take your foot off of the brake peddle & the truck would STOP on its own. I thought brakes again right?

3) On the highway it wouldn't shift into high gear. Engine was going 3000 rpm at 70mph. I assumed that the engine was fighting against the brakes.

Fix:
Checked tranny fluid & it was 1 quart low. I added 1 quart & it fixed it.

I am putting this here because this doesn't make any sense to me. I don't know why having a low fluid level would actually "brake" the vehicle. I was all ready to start pulling the wheels off & taking the brakes apart.

Anyway if your having my Dakota's symptoms I hope this cheap fix works for you too.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:49 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think iam right about this, if iam off please correct me. the low level will cause the control valves to not do the right things. the different clutches will engage at the same time when they shouldn't.

Quick Reply: Dakota Transmission slowing truck