DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech-67/)
-   -   Service 4WD light on I 'm tired of it (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/369357-service-4wd-light-on-i-m-tired-of-it.html)

Dakmm 01-20-2014 10:08 AM

If your tires aren't matched and aren't all pretty close in outside diameter (tread wear, manufacturer, etc...) then even going straight down dry pavement will cause some binding in the transfer case. If you were going hwy speeds for a long while in 4wd Hi and your tires aren't matched, you could've definitely done some transfer case damage. What you feel when you turn in 4wd is just the extreme of what could be happening while going straight on dry pavement with unmatched tires.

I once saw a guy engage 4wd in a Jeep while he had the donut on one wheel....no friggin idea why or what he was thinking but the axle with the donut locked up tight after only about 2 feet and the transfer case was stuck in 4wd all bound up. That's an extreme case of different outside diameter tires though, but you get my point.

garciajuanelo 01-20-2014 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dakmm (Post 3124271)
If your tires aren't matched and aren't all pretty close in outside diameter (tread wear, manufacturer, etc...) then even going straight down dry pavement will cause some binding in the transfer case. If you were going hwy speeds for a long while in 4wd Hi and your tires aren't matched, you could've definitely done some transfer case damage. What you feel when you turn in 4wd is just the extreme of what could be happening while going straight on dry pavement with unmatched tires.

I once saw a guy engage 4wd in a Jeep while he had the donut on one wheel....no friggin idea why or what he was thinking but the axle with the donut locked up tight after only about 2 feet and the transfer case was stuck in 4wd all bound up. That's an extreme case of different outside diameter tires though, but you get my point.

you know what now that you mention it "Dakmm"

yes I have 2 different sizes of tires on my truck, 2 of the same in the rear and 2 of the same in the front and different threads as well so that could actually be my problem and also driving it for a while on 4WD on highway.

so if the problem is with the transfer case how does that affect my headlight and power door locks, and I tried a nother CTM and TCCM and problem still except that now my lights dont turn off and my power locks work fine ever since I tried that new TCCM.

Hey thanks to everybody for their comments I hope I can solve this problem dont really want to spend a whole lot of money on this truck it already has about 21900 miles on it

http://whos.amung.us/swidget/statpublix.png

magnethead 01-20-2014 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by garciajuanelo (Post 3124528)
so if the problem is with the transfer case how does that affect my headlight and power door locks, and I tried a nother CTM and TCCM and problem still except that now my lights dont turn off and my power locks work fine ever since I tried that new TCCM.

Hey thanks to everybody for their comments I hope I can solve this problem dont really want to spend a whole lot of money on this truck it already has about 21900 miles on it

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/attachm...ine=1390268260

This is a Question for DakDan:

Do the CTM and TCCM share a ground and/or power source?

00DakDan 01-20-2014 09:44 PM

Thanks Magnethead.

Yes, the TCCM and the CTM share a ground, G207. It's located in the lower center of the instrument panel. Basically, follow the harness going to the airbag control module, on the transmission tunnel. There are two grounds in the harness, G207 and G201.

G201 is the airbag module so disconnect the fuse if you're going to clean it up.

G207 is the TCCM, CTM, transfer case selector, cigar lighter, power outlet, radio, HVAC controls and a bunch of other things.

Also, if the dash has ever been rolled, say to change the heater core, there are short jumpers between the dash and the body near the dash pivot points.

The power door locks switches use this ground G207 too!

magnethead 01-20-2014 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by 00DakDan (Post 3124571)
Thanks Magnethead.

Yes, the TCCM and the CTM share a ground, G207. It's located in the lower center of the instrument panel. Basically, follow the harness going to the airbag control module, on the transmission tunnel. There are two grounds in the harness, G207 and G201.

G201 is the airbag module so disconnect the fuse if you're going to clean it up.

G207 is the TCCM, CTM, transfer case selector, cigar lighter, power outlet, radio, HVAC controls and a bunch of other things.

Also, if the dash has ever been rolled, say to change the heater core, there are short jumpers between the dash and the body near the dash pivot points.

The power door locks switches use this ground G207 too!

I was working down the path that maybe the prior TCCM was backfeeding over ground, sending mixed signals to the CTM and locks.

As far as the electronic transfer case not shifting when it should, I'm thinking it's the selector motor. Probe the pins at the motor connector while a friend plays with the switch in the cab, and see if the signal is sent. If it's not, i would look at the switch on the dash, seeing as you've replaced the TCCM.

If the voltages send immediately, then the motor would be suspect.

**note: my dak isn't 4x4. I'm just running through what others have dealt with on this forum.**

garciajuanelo 01-20-2014 10:49 PM

hey thanks guys for the help one more thing I remembered the day I was swapping that TCCM when I installed the used one of the 01 Durango It was still showing the "service 4WD" light and the LED for 2WD was on and I switched it to 4WD HI and I could hear the motor or actuator wherever it it is switching as I switched everytime from 2WD to 4WD HI of course my truck was parked.

but I also found this information of the repair manual.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - TRANSFER CASE - NV233

Transfer case difficult to shift or will
not shift into desired range.

1) Transfer case electronically
controlled shift system malfunction.
1) Verify proper operation per the
appropriate diagnostic manual.
2) If vehicle was operated for an
extended period in 4HI mode on
dry surface, driveline torque load
may cause difficulty.
2) Drive the vehicle in a straight line