2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

performance upgrade suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:13 PM
slpolson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance upgrade suggestions

Hello Fellow mopar enthusiast's.
I have a 2004 Dodge dakota slt, 4.7 auto 4x4. And I am wanting to do some performance upgrades and I am looking for some suggestions what would be best to do. Currently I have cold air kit and Thrush muffler only. Looking at Jet performance stage 2 chip, or maybe Some gibson Headers, Or possibly A new throttle Body. Just looking for some ideas. that will not completley break the bank.
Thanks For the help!

Old 02-11-2014, 11:56 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by slpolson
Hello Fellow mopar enthusiast's.
I have a 2004 Dodge dakota slt, 4.7 auto 4x4. And I am wanting to do some performance upgrades and I am looking for some suggestions what would be best to do. Currently I have cold air kit and Thrush muffler only. Looking at Jet performance stage 2 chip, or maybe Some gibson Headers, Or possibly A new throttle Body. Just looking for some ideas. that will not completley break the bank.
Thanks For the help!
hemifever@aol.com

best personalized tuning you will get for the dollar.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:55 AM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's only if you can find him a handheld. But I will not argue against the quality of tuning. Hemifever is the best, even though this isn't one of his specialty engines.

My 2 cents, do not buy a Jet programmer, they are junk for our engines. A superchip is better, but SCT is the best (hemifever tunes through this one). From guys who have done headers for the 4.7L it doesn't do much for performance, our stock ones do a good job. Only bonus I've heard of the headers is they sound better and louder.

I have some stuff, not a lot. I have an enlarged TB ($180), superchip ($300 I think), transmission pressure booster ($50), header-back exhaust upgrade [enlarged down-pipes, single 3" main, highflow catalytic converter and 14" muffler (might remove) was $800 total w/ labor], k&n air filter w/ stock air system ($55). What I still am waiting to install is my H/O camshafts ($450, labor optional but another $500).

Comparing to similar models dynoed with similar modifications, the engine will make a conservative estimate of 300 hp and 350 tq. Last thing of the list is swapping to 4.10 differentials ($1200, $600 per diff), this will be more for fun when money is flowing again but will make the largest improvement on acceleration and mpg gains per dollar. No "power gains" but mathematics working in our favor.

Your truck shares a lot of components with mine and I know most of the changes between our model years. So if you have any questions on what I am talking about here or feel free to private message me and welcome to the Forum!!!

Last edited by Blacknights; 02-13-2014 at 02:39 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:12 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Plain and simple jet chips dont work. The computer relearns its programming. Things that will wake your truck up are throttle body, sct tuner, sonnax line booster,tmr mod. As blacknights said the stock mani flows just as good as a set of headers. Only reason guys do them is for sound and loooks save your money and spend it elsewhere.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:04 PM
slpolson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, Thanks for the suggestions so far, Can you guys give me an idea on what tb to purchase and as far as the sonnax line booster does that really help with the trans, and what is a tmr mod.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:25 PM
magnethead
Legend

IDK if the throttle body helps a whole lot on the 4.7, but Fastman makes all the mopar TB's in an oversize. The TMR mod is part of the torque management system that kills the motor to preserve traction, and i've read good things on the sonnax booster.

If you want hard numbers, here's what i've done to my truck (3.9 V6) and all i've managed so far is 2 seconds off my 1/8 mile time from stock.

Mark 8 fan mod ($60)
4.10 gears ($700)
SCT tuner/custom tune ($200 or so?)
MSD ignition & coil ($120)
methanol injection ($150)
16 pass trans cooler under bed ($120)
high stall convertor ($150)
powertrax lock-right locker ($700 or so, going in next week)
Harland 1.7:1 rockers ($150)
V8 throttle body ($40)

I think that's it but I could be wrong. That's $1,690 spent so far and $700 spent next week to make $2,390

Old 02-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Blacknights
Veteran

http://www.thefastman.com/throttle_bodies.php, this guy who I order from. I haven't really put an hp rating on it maybe it is +5hp on the top end. But it is worth it, if you like me you notice engines like humans, stuff is different, like or hates something. This overall makes the engine work/feel better, more responsive. Definitely worth the money in the long run and is nice for everyday driving.

The sonnax booster, 110% worth the $50.

I thought TMR came in later models?

Old 02-13-2014, 09:43 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by Blacknights
I thought TMR came in later models?
OK has an 04, definitely has TMR enabled.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:01 PM
Blacknights
Veteran

Does my 01 have it? If so how do I get rid of it?

Old 02-13-2014, 10:26 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder98110
super easy. as long as u have the 3 plug pcm.........find the TCM passanger side by the radiator. remove the black cover. unscrew the bolt. on the female side connector remove the red center (bottom) part with a screwdriver. find the yellow wire with the green tracer. top row far left i think under the bolt. and pull it out.....done.
This back when thunder did his and he loved it!

Quick Reply: performance upgrade suggestions