2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Please read and try to help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Ol' Fart
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be an over simplification, but on my '97 I have had problems with some of the relays under the hood just randomly malfunctioning. I this may be due to moisture, but probably worth checking out. Use a known good relay to check out the others. I don't know if your truck has the same relays as mine or not.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:27 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by drjgarage
Also how hard is to replace the ignition switch? Is it on the column or in the key switch it self? THANKS EVERYONE!!!!
It's on the column, not the key part.

Do you have a tilt column? Over the years the wires flex enough and break, often causing intermittent problems.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:49 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 168 Likes on 154 Posts

What and where is a remote interrupt? Also how hard is to replace the ignition switch? Is it on the column or in the key switch it self? THANKS EVERYONE!!!!
I meant remote start. Racing is on the mind so I said remote interrupt instead of remote start.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:52 PM
drjgarage
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just stopped at the garage and they removed the RSVP and it still won't start. At this point I don't care about the price, I just want my truck back!!! Anymore ideas??????

Old 03-21-2014, 01:04 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Take it to a dealer and have them connect it to the DRB. It does MUCH more than read codes it'll tell them the switch positions and everything else.

Of course it helps if it's acting up when they see it.

Don't rule out that the PCM itself may be bad but it should crank. I'm betting the ignition switch.

Last edited by 00DakDan; 03-21-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:45 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I just stopped at the garage and they removed the RSVP and it still won't start. At this point I don't care about the price, I just want my truck back!!! Anymore ideas??????
Did they really remove the remote start module and all of its wiring or did they just unplug the module? I am guessing they only unplugged it. You may still have wiring issues at the ignition switch if the shop only unplugged it and did not connect the starter wire back together. That may be why the truck won't start now. Either do it yourself with a volt meter or do like Dan said and get the truck to a Dodge dealer so they can check it out with the DRB. One way or another you need to find out whether you have a bad ignition switch. I am still betting either the ignition switch harness or the switch is/are bad.

Jimmy

Old 03-21-2014, 03:01 PM
drjgarage
Professional

How hard is it to replace the PCM? Isn't it on the fender? Does it have to be programmed after install?

Old 03-21-2014, 03:22 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

It is unlikely that the PCM is the problem based on what you've posted so far.

Not cranking is NOT typically a sign of a bad PCM. You'd also usually have a code or a "no bus" message on your dash if the PCM was bad.

Do you have a gray or black ignition key?

Old 03-21-2014, 04:29 PM
drjgarage
Professional

The garage called and said that while this time of not starting they tested the ignition switch and it rang out fine. They did fix the fact of it not turning over. Now it doesn't fire or should I say start. They are leaning to crank sensor or three other sensors. They were closing in when started. They will wait til tomorrow and or Monday to continue. They had a term for the sensors as a group but I forgot.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:23 AM
drjgarage
Professional

What is the ASD relay?

Quick Reply: Please read and try to help!!!!!