2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Please read and try to help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 12:01 PM
drjgarage
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Please read and try to help!!!!!

I have a 2003 Dak 3.9 4x4 automatic that won't start at times. Mostly always when it is cold and from sitting overnight. When I say won't start I mean you turn the key and nothing! The dash indicators light up. The radio, blower head lights all work. The headlights don't dim. It's like trying to start the truck with it in drive. The fuel pump doesn't make a sound also when the key is first turned. It happens more times than not when it is cold and in the morning. I get home from work and it starts. There is a new battery. I load tested the starter(even though it doesn't even click or turn over when this happens). I tested the alternator. It just won't turn over or run the fuel puimp. I installed a push button to by pass the starter mode. With the key on and hitting the button it just cranks with no firing. Like it has no fuel or spark. It's been in the garage 3 times. Each time they go out to see, it starts no problem. I forgot to mention that the truck also has an aftermarket remote start that is 8-9 years old. I'm having that removed ask we speak. The battery is new, the cables are good. I load tested the starter, battery and alternator when it runs. All is good or better. I have run the shift up and down everytime and also hit the brake to disable the remote if for some reason it is active. When I get home from the morning of NO start, it starts right up. I have towwed it twice to a garage and the first time they said it started and the second time 2 no starts with the third it started. The odometer also shows "done" sometimes when I give the key a turn multipule times. again it seems like when it is cold and in the morning and like you are trying to start the truck when it is in drive or reverse. When it does start it is right away!
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Last edited by drjgarage; 03-20-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:13 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

What engine and transmission do you have?

Possible ignition switch or switch harness problems (more common with a tilt wheel)?

Old 03-19-2014, 01:25 PM
drjgarage
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, 3.9 4x4 automatic

Old 03-19-2014, 02:32 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Start with the simplest and cheapest solutions first. Do you have any stored or pending codes? You can turn the ignition on then off, on then off again and on again and leave it in the run position. Any codes you have will display in your odometer.

What is the battery voltage? Anything below 12.6 and you need anew battery. Dodges absolutely hate low voltage. A good test would be to check the voltage at the battery when it is cold since that is most often the time the truck wont start.

Also check the battery cable ends for corrosion and cut open the insulation a bit at the cable ends. If you have green fungus on the wire you may need to cut the old ends off and cut back to good copper wire when replacing the cable ends.

Jimmy

Old 03-19-2014, 03:53 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

01SilverCC ---- green fungus?

ha ha you mean green copper corrosion I know

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 03-19-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:03 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

If it's not turning on the fuel pump, first place that sends me is the PCM. However if the dash comes on, then the PCM should be on.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:25 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Bad ASD relay? But it should still crank.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:36 PM
DK Pony
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried moving the gear selector through the gears and then back into park when it does this? See if it will start in neutral.
Possibly a bad neutral safety switch.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:25 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Pony
Have you tried moving the gear selector through the gears and then back into park when it does this? See if it will start in neutral.
Possibly a bad neutral safety switch.
but if the NSS was bad, it would still prime the fuel pump at key-up.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:35 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with checking the neutral safety switch and the ignition switch. Whatever is causing the problem is probably electrical so the battery and its cables would be the very first place I would start. Being up north it could be easier for the battery cable ends to corrode and also for the battery cables themselves to get green corrosion in the wire and when those things happen, you get a voltage drop. Voltage drop is not a good thing in any engine and voltage drop or any problem with electrical current is an especially bad thing in a Dakota.

Did anything odd happen with the truck before this problem started? Any difference in how it ran or started up? Any odd changes in gas mileage or did it feel like there was a loss of power? If anything was not right or not quite right it could help point you to the cause of this no-start problem. Or did the truck start and run fine one day then the next day exhibit this no-start problem out of the blue?

Please let us know how it turns out.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Please read and try to help!!!!!