2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Looking to buy a Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:16 PM
tomes1978
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a Dakota

Hey guys, I found a 2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab which appears to be in very good shape and well taken care of. It has 4 wheel drive, automatic transmission, power windows, power locks, and cruise control. It has the 4.7 magnum engine and only has 105,000 miles on it. They are asking $8900. What are some things I should look for before purchasing? Do you all like your trucks and how many more years should I expect to get from this truck if I purchase? I really like it, but don't want to get something that will cost me a lot of money in repairs. I am thinking about getting a pre-purchase inspection from a mechanic. Thank you all for your advice!!!

Link with pics and carfax:
http://www.gbncautosales.com/web/use...e-IN/14176567/

One more thing...if I do buy, what is some routine maintenance I should do with the mileage that is on the truck?

Tom

Last edited by tomes1978; 06-10-2014 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 06-10-2014, 11:14 PM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd venture to say you could get another 50,000 miles before you'd start seeing anything out of the ordinary maintenance. See if you can get any service data on the truck from the previous owner(s). I always highly suggest getting a 3rd party mechanic to do a pre-purchase review. From the website the truck looks like it is in excellent condition. The only thing I would highly suggest is replacing all the fluids in the truck. As for regular maintenance change the engine oil religiously and listen to your oil pump.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:36 PM
racecart1

Truck looks really great. I second backnights comment and suggest you to get it reviewed from a third-party mechanic for a safe side.

All the best

Old 06-11-2014, 08:15 PM
tomes1978
Amateur

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to do it. I went over to take a look again today and really like the truck. I'm going to have it checked out tomorrow and if there are no major issues go to my bank to get the deal done!

One thing I noticed. The key fob has a remote start on it, extra bonus and did not expect it! Anyway, the salesperson did not think it worked, and I was playing with it and it started. I have no idea how I did it, I held down the start button and then several other buttons and I believe it started when I hit the unlock button....any ideas? I could not duplicate.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:22 PM
tomes1978
Amateur

I bought it! I hope this will be a great truck for years to come!

Old 06-14-2014, 10:04 PM
01dak3.9
Veteran

Ball joints are a common problem on these trucks. Check for foamy oil or sludge in the oil. Make sure the a/c drain hasn't clogged up and leaked onto the passenger side carpet.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:43 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

You may want to pull the sparkplugs ASAP and get a look at them.

Be carful as they can get stuck in the hole some have had the plug snap off so use caution no cracking hard at it. To get it out if stuck WD40 it or whatever you have that's like it.

Use caution

The coils also have a tendency to glue to the sparkplugs if left on too long this makes getting them off very hard at times.

Use silicon gel on the coil O-rings on install so they don't stick and use Anti-Seize Lubricant on the sparkplugs.

This is not the norm but can happen its good to get a look at them now if difficult to do, taking it to the place you got it from may be the best way to get it done under warrantee.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a Dakota