2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Whats your opinions on this

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 01:37 PM
BlueQC
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whats your opinions on this

Hi folks,

I am looking foir a bit more bass in my 01 QC I am hoping this will fit behind the rear seat back. I know its not a lot of punch but just want some better bottom end running thru the Affinity sound sysyem of which my Sony Xplod deck has the pre outs for a sub. Most music is classic rock.
Sound Ordnance B-8PTD

Old 05-24-2015, 08:32 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont think it will fit behind the rear seat. They are decent tho for the price and being compact. You wont get good deep lows out of it but it will add a little bit to the stock radio. You will find replacing the speakers in the truck with good aftermarket ones will help out a lot! I have a old set(5-8 years) of cerwin vegas in my truck which im not sure how their new stuff is but mine are really clear and decent bass. I jam out a lot and they put up with the abuse! I added a 10in sub tho to get the lows.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:32 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sound Ordnance amps are pretty good for their price. They are not ground pounding 10,000 jiggawatt ear splitting loud but they do sound good. I do not know if the sub will fit behind the seat in a quad cab, but you may find it sounds better if you are able to lay it down in one side of the rear floorboard. An 8" pre-fab sub like that will probably not play super low bass but for classic rock should still sound very good.

As Dodgeramguy says upgrading the factory speakers will also do a lot to improve the sound too. A lot of guys have had good luck with adding Infinity 6 1/2's to the factory Infinity amplified system. Kicker and Pioneer are both good 6 1/2's too. I listen to a lot of old classic rock myself and my personal favorite speaker is Pioneer. I installed two pairs of MB Quart OKC116's a few months ago, they sounded good at first but the tweeters became kind of harsh so I removed them. They were also a little too inefficient, I think rated at 88db and did not match my tweeters very well. I had to keep the volume **** higher than usual to get the same sound pressure level and it was kind of a pain. Odd as it might seem, the best speaker I have had in my truck is the low budget Pioneer TSG-1644R. Pioneer does not make the 1644 any more but you can still find them at Advance Auto Parts and on Amazon. Those are what I put back in after removing the Quarts and they sound great, very natural with good bass and mids for just running off the internal power of my Pioneer deck. If you do upgrade the factory speakers look for a brand with a higher efficiency rating, 91db and up will do fine on the OEM Infinity amp.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 05-25-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:22 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

I run two subs off a pair of VB101PK visonik amps- like 40 or 60 WRMS. One sub is a 6" takeout from a GM vehicle with the monsoon stereo, the other is an 8" sony. Both in custom enclosures. Maybe people think I have a single 12 because i designed the boxes to fit the application.

Quick Reply: Whats your opinions on this