DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech-67/)
-   -   Rear drums to discs---what else do i need to change? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/397914-rear-drums-to-discs-what-else-do-i-need-to-change.html)

SUNBURNTsnype 10-12-2016 01:08 AM

Rear drums to discs---what else do i need to change?

I am about to pull the trigger on buying a new(used) rear end for my truck from a wrecking yard(long story short---previous owner installed a 2wd axle on a 4x4 truck, which subsequently lowered the ride height; and now I am trying to replace it with a 4x4 axle); and figured since most of the 9.25" rear ends I have found have had disc brakes, I might as well just upgrade to discs since im replacing the rear end anyways. I just want to get all my ducks in a row and make sure this isn't going to lead down the rabbit hole of having to change a bunch of other components if I do go this route, instead of just being patient and waiting for a 9.25" rear end with drums and keeping it all the same. If I do go with a disc brake axle hosuing, I figure I will need to change the parking brake cables, brake lines(?), proportioning valve, ABS module(?).....anything else? do I need to change the master cylinder or brake booster, or do I need to do anything with the tone rings for ABS? I have a 2001 truck and the axle I found is off of an 2003. Is it pretty much plug and play with the discs or do I need tot do a bunch of tweaking and adjusting to get the right front/rear brake balance?

there is a whole donor truck at the wrecking yard, so whatever else I need, I plan to get off the existing truck. just want to have a solid gameplan before I start buying parts.
Thanks.

SUNBURNTsnype 10-12-2016 12:07 PM

my other option is to drop my existing rear end, cut off the spring perches(which are currently setup for a 2wd spring under axle), and buy new spring perches and weld them on top of the axle after verifying proper pinion angle. however, I would prefer to just buy an existing rear end that is already setup for my truck and just unbolt mine and bolt up the new one instead of having to go through the fabwork. I just figured if I am going to go through the work of replacing the axle, might as well upgrade to the discs while im at it. I just want to confirm what other components I must consider replacing to make the discs work properly on my truck.

anyone have any ideas or experience with this?

If I could get a parts manual for an 03 or 04 I could compare part numbers and diagrams; however I only have the parts manual for 00-01 for my truck's components.

Anyone have a useable link to parts manuals for other model years?

SUNBURNTsnype 10-23-2016 01:14 PM

Bump

Bump

Anyone got any advice/ideas? Im pretty sure I need to change proportioning valve, which I can get off the donor truck with the new axle. Is there any difference in ABS tone rings/wiring connectors in the pumpkin between an '01 and '03? would ABS module be any different going from '01 drum to '03 disk?