2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

How to wire led drl's!?? As bed lights?? 99 dakota 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 01:19 AM
Westby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to wire led drl's!?? As bed lights?? 99 dakota 5.9

Ok I want to wire 2 red led drl's as lights in my truck bed. 99 dakota r/t 5.9L...would like a toggle or rocker switch in cab also.

-My drl's have 1 red wire and 1 black wire

To my understanding I run the black wire all the way to neg batt terminal....then red wire from drl to switch in cab. After that I wire more red from switch to pos batt terminal with a fuse in between switch and battery.....correct????? 7.5 fuse okay?? Or bigger?
appreciate a 2nd opinion
Thanks

Old 05-16-2018, 09:54 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Please clarify...you want to replace your DRL's (which are your high beams running on a lower voltage) with red LED's? Have you checked your local laws concerning color of front facing lights? Red is usually reserved for law enforcement, ambulances and fire vehicles. At any rate, please clarify what you are wanting to do. It is unclear.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:07 PM
Westby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using red led drl lights as truck bed lights

These glow red. I want them in my truck bed. With a switch in cab to turn on as i please.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:23 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Ahhh.... gotcha.....you had "drl's" in your first post (which stands for "daytime running lights") which confused me. You can ground the black wires anywhere on the body, does not have to be at the battery. Use a self taping screw and a wire connector and scrape any paint away so it makes good contact with the metal. LED's don't draw much current so you could "get away" without using a relay, that's up to you. 7.5 amp fuse should be fine as long as that meets the specs of the LED's.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:32 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Well, you've already got bed lights in the high up 3rd brake light, at the rear of the cab, don't you? Pull out that light and you'll see the wiring. I'd find a way to tap into that wiring, which means it would operate from the OEM switch. Those things barely run any current, so really skinny wire would suffice. You could mount the bars on either side of the 3rd light and drill holes through for wiring, sealing with clear silicon. Now if you want them directly in the bed, you'll need to be more creative.

Quick Reply: How to wire led drl's!?? As bed lights?? 99 dakota 5.9