DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech-67/)
-   -   Putting 1999 6cyl in 2000 4cyl Dakota Sport (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/415830-putting-1999-6cyl-in-2000-4cyl-dakota-sport.html)

rickself 06-30-2018 08:14 PM

I do think that is correct. The 4-cylinder has a different upper hose that goes across the front top of the motor. Never really seen one like that before. We’re putting the parts truck on a trailer and bring it back to disassemble it here at home and may just get everything off of we can. The mechanic bought the wrecked truck just bought it for the bed and is selling us the motor for $150. So I think we can pick and choose some parts that we need.

rickself 06-30-2018 09:16 PM

I tell ya, if I get to pick parts off of this truck, all for the price of $150, I have a glove box latch I need, a heater/air conditioner direction switch for the dash, the glass in my driver side mirror is broken. And if there’s a way to get the ignition switch off the column and the tilt wheel adjuster that broke last week, this may be a Goldmine! Even if it’s not for the price of $150, I’ll be more than willing to pay extra just to have this parts vehicle delivered to me.

magnethead 06-30-2018 11:08 PM

I consider a parts truck as being a bargain at $600 or less, depending on what is needed. Passing them around tends to be a thing. Buy for 1800, take some stuff, sell for 1200, that person takes some stuff, sells it for 600 to a junkyard.

rickself 07-02-2018 10:17 PM

Well, feeling a little bit of a letdown. Seems that the mechanic that owns the parts truck told the guy that’s going to work on my truck that there are going to be major problems with the wiring harness inside the cab under the dash. We would have to remove the dash from both parts truck and my truck to tear out the wiring harness. He thought there was also going to be major issues with the fuel pump and other things that may not be compatible between the two. So I am back to looking for a four cylinder 2.5 L engine.

magnethead 07-02-2018 11:00 PM

It may relate to the change in communications buss. Maybe it did change and they kept the mechanical cluster for one year after the change. I always get mixed up because 2000 is just a clusterF of a model year for the dakota platform.

rickself 07-05-2018 10:55 AM

This is one hard engine to find. So…
I have a quote to rebuild for $1600. YOWZA, not thinking so.
NEXT!

magnethead 07-05-2018 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by rickself (Post 3399644)
This is one hard engine to find. So…
I have a quote to rebuild for $1600. YOWZA, not thinking so.
NEXT!

That's actually not bad. Dakaz probably just spent twice that redoing his 2.5L.

rickself 07-05-2018 08:30 PM

Ya but I’ve seen pictures of his trucks.
And the pictures of your shop! Jeeze Louise! I realize a clean shop is essential but I could eat off that floor!

98DAKAZ 07-05-2018 09:19 PM

OK OK NO and NO on the $1600 im not sure on the total but Im sure that's high I did all the work except the machine work.

The 2.5 is a very simple engine to rebuild

If the engine didn't toss a rod you should get by spending around $1200 or less NOW if all you want is to get it back running even less.
I will try and get a total for you but I opted to go high end on a few parts.

Now in regards to your engine swap as I said I know very little on such matters especially like magnethead said about the 2000 year compared to a 98 many things changed many things changed in 99 also.

To my knowledge the rads for all engines are the same for each year up to end of 99. Now 2000 up all engines have the same rad so up to 99 one rad was used 2000 up a different rad was. OK but .... you can swap in a 2000 rad in a 97 to 99 Dakota but you need the hoses for a 2000 to 2004 and will need to modify the rad mounts. Bottom mounts need widening for top mounts you need to drill and tap new mounting locations 2000 mounts are wider. Now making this rad swap means swapping your A/ C condenser as they mount very differently from 98 to a 2000 this also means swapping condenser connections as they are very different so that part of the swap is not a simple job custom A/C work is needed.

This is the big difference up to 99 the rad mounted to the inside of the engine bay 2000 up they mounted on the outside of the engine bay on the same cross brace.

Now each engine had different rad shrouding or two different shrouds available but the shrouds are not needed for proper cooling.. ( In my opinion ) but thats your discussion to make.

rickself 07-05-2018 09:59 PM

Hey 98dakaz - I’ve given up on the option of moving to a six cylinder.
I would just be happy finding a four-cylinder or a repair job that doesn’t break the bank!