DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech-67/)
-   -   2000 dodge dakota hard start when hot (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/416887-2000-dodge-dakota-hard-start-when-hot.html)

msthec1 08-06-2018 07:36 AM

2000 dodge dakota hard start when hot

hi im having a problem with my 2000 dodge Dakota 4.7l i replaced the fuel injectors because the old ones were failing i replaced them with bosch 0 280 155 849 injectors. the problem im having is after the engine is warm for the first hour or so after you shut it off it starts hard, cranks more then it should before it starts if you wait like over 2 hours it starts just fine it just started doing this like a day or 2 after i replaced the injectors. i thought maybe i was having a fuel pressure problem but it wouldn't start right up if you leave sit for over 2 hours wouldn't it get harder to start after sitting longer, someone told me it could the engine temp. sensor because its only happening when engine is hot not after it cools off i really don't want to play guessing games with this thing i put enough money into it over the last 6 months but i love this truck other wise it would of been gone a long time ago. thanks for looking

HeyYou 08-06-2018 08:01 AM

Verify spark, and injector pulse when it doesn't want to start. Plug in with a scanner, and see what the pcm thinks engine temp is, also look at fuel trims, see if the pcm is pulling fuel, or adding to much.

msthec1 08-06-2018 08:16 AM

my friend hook up his scanner because i had a check engine light on but it was because my dumb a-- didn't have the #1 spark plug coil wire pushed all the way on but as soon as it click on the coil the light went off but another thing popped up but didn't trigger a check engine light it said tps couldn't read upper limit, all the coils and spark plugs were replaced in june.

HeyYou 08-06-2018 08:22 AM

Use the scanner, see what TPS values are doing.

msthec1 08-06-2018 08:45 AM

ok thanks we'll do this is driving me nuts i replaced the injectors with what i thought was an upgrade then this stuff happens go figure

msthec1 08-06-2018 10:04 AM

wow this is just getting really weird i put the injectors in last Tuesday i didnt have any problems with it starting, yesterday and the day before it has been in the 90s and in Wisconsin when it gets that hot the dew point and humidity are in the mid to high 60s sometimes in the low 70s i remember my uncle saying when it gets like this it kinda reminds him of Vietnam it gets that hot and sticky here, today its 70 right now and its raining i went to the store and a bunch of other places since my last post engine is fully warm but it has been starting right up, matter of fact hardly touch the key and fires right up no hard start at all it kinda reminds me of vapor lock on a carbureted engine. im baffled

HeyYou 08-06-2018 02:39 PM

Wonder if the PCM just needed some time to learn the new injectors..... might be an issue if they are a different flow rate from stock.

But, if it's working, don't fix it. :D

00DakDan 08-06-2018 08:35 PM

How's the fuel pressure?

I'm wondering if the injectors are leaking down causing an overly rich condition when you try to start it.

Watch the fuel pressure when you shut it down.

msthec1 08-07-2018 09:32 AM

i know the ohms are a little higher on the bosch injectors but from what i read it doesnt mess with anything

msthec1 08-13-2018 12:22 AM

this thing is becoming more and more of a nightmare this truck is really starting to question my love for chrysler products i thought i had every thing worked out, truck was running pretty good for the last few days then today i went to back my truck into the parking stall had to cut the wheel all the way hard the truck quit and it would just crank and crank but wouldnt start i found out the 30 amp ASD fuse was blown put another fuse in the truck it started right up i put it in gear and bam fuse blew again and again just when i would put it in gear, so just to park it i put a 40 amp fuse in and it stayed running even in gear so i was able to park it, no codes are coming up so im just at a loss i replaced the fuel injectors. all 8 of the coils plus the tp sensor, the iac motor all new. the fuel pump is the original 200,000 mile fuel pump, the asd relay is good i just have no idea has any one else had this problem thanks