DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech-67/)
-   -   02 Dakota No Spark (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/417011-02-dakota-no-spark.html)

Owen T 08-25-2018 07:32 AM

Good point! The big head itcher for me is how can thses refurbishing companies flash a older vehicles PCM off the truck/car but the dealerships say it's not possible?

HeyYou 08-25-2018 07:59 AM

With the right equipment, anything is possible. The dealers don't need it, as they install them in the car they are going to go in, and then flash them.

Owen T 08-25-2018 08:22 AM

I've never been this indecisive before lol, it royally pizzez me off that the dealerships can flat out lie and charge so much but flip the coin and in reality the refurbishing companies are doing the same, they make more money on restocking fees and hidden fees than they do on the actual part! I wouldn't be so hesitant on ordering a refurbished unit if these companies had better guarantees. Some of the customers have went months before a good unit was finally sent and the $249 PCM ends up cost $500 after said and done :icon_omg:

HeyYou 08-25-2018 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Owen T (Post 3407196)
I've never been this indecisive before lol, it royally pizzez me off that the dealerships can flat out lie and charge so much but flip the coin and in reality the refurbishing companies are doing the same, they make more money on restocking fees and hidden fees than they do on the actual part! I wouldn't be so hesitant on ordering a refurbished unit if these companies had better guarantees. Some of the customers have went months before a good unit was finally sent and the $249 PCM ends up cost $500 after said and done :icon_omg:

And that's another reason I prefer to work locally when it comes to PCM's. Talking to a person face to face....... you have a bit more leverage. (if you are irate enough, they will waive any additional fees, if you get a bad one. :) )

Owen T 08-25-2018 03:02 PM

Yep, I'm bypassing the refurbished PCM, its a gamble i can't really afford right now. I was talking with a shop earlier this morning that does nothing but automotive electrical work and jim said he has delt with most of the refurbishing outlets and they are a freaking nightmare! He said realistically 1 in 5 refurbished computer's actually work and less are truly refurbished. Most are just reflashed vehicle specific, painted and resold. It a real racket i guess. Most only last 3-6 months.

HeyYou 08-25-2018 03:57 PM

Oh wonderful. :) What's his solution? Does he order 5, and hope he gets one that works? Or does he want a new one, from the dealer?

Owen T 08-25-2018 04:55 PM

Lol im sure that's not his method. He's is simply saying he's been in business long enough to have traveled that road and it was a bumpy one.
He said he would have 2-3 vehicles down at one time waiting for a computer from one of these refurbishing companies and it got to a point where the fail rates of the computers we're literally 4-5 at once.

This in turn made him lose money and customers so he gave up on hoping he might get a good one. By the time he actually got a good one and all the hidden handling charges everytime he turned around he could of bought and installed 2 brand new units.