DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech-67/)
-   -   Update On New PCM (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/417583-update-on-new-pcm.html)

Owen T 08-31-2018 09:04 PM

Update On New PCM

Hey everyone thought I'd update you on my Dakota since I put a new PCM in. To recap have installed new crankshaft positioning sensor, new cam positioning sensor, idle control sensor, new coolant switch sensor, new 1000 cold cranking amp battery, all the fuses and relays have either been replaced or checked and all are good. Just installed my brand new non refurbished PCM that I ordered from the dealership. I think they felt sorry for me because they did not charge me to flash it with my mileage and VIN number. They did make me push it out of the main repair center before I started it since they did not charge me to flash it didn't quite understand that?

I started it up all the gauges work fine, idled fine until I went to rev It up to see if it would go past 2500 RPMs and guess what... Nope! Doing the same exact damn thing! Will stay running at an idle for about 2 minutes then start idling up and down erratically then dies. Takes forever to restart and will not go over 2500 RPMs! Who was the Podunk that design these Dodge electrical systems!? Well I'm completely out of ideas guys anything else that you can think of other than a 50 cal round through the block!?

magnethead 08-31-2018 10:22 PM

You really need to hook up to a data logger to read/record the live PID data as it acts up.

HeyYou 08-31-2018 10:22 PM

Time to do some data logging, and see what is happening there.

The two minutes thing may be how long it takes for the pcm to start paying attention to the O2 sensors. Unplug 'em, see if anything changes.

magnethead 08-31-2018 10:23 PM

And technically the dealer should have done that when they installed the PCM...oh wait, they didn't "install" the PCM and there's not such papertrail suggesting they did because they didn't bill you. Know why? Because they started it and found out it didn't fix the problem and didn't want to be on the hook for it. ;)

Owen T 08-31-2018 10:34 PM

Yeah you are probably right....figures with my luck. Also noticed my mileage is way off now, by almost 45k!

HeyYou 08-31-2018 10:40 PM

Have a chat with the dealer. :)

Owen T 08-31-2018 10:44 PM

I'll going back tomorrow they are open till noon in the service department. There are camera's too so they can't deny it. I'll do the o2 unplug tomorrow too and let you know. It does smell slightly eggy but not horrible.

Owen T 09-01-2018 07:41 AM

Oh forgot to ask this, why would my mileage be so far off? The PCM has nothing to do with my cluster does it? Thought that was the BCM that controlled the cluster. Tried to limp it back into the garage this morning because it's storming like crazy and now its flashing P0505! This is absolutely crazy! It hasn't flashed anything for o2 sensors but im still going to unplug them.

HeyYou 09-01-2018 11:39 AM

505 is idle air control.

Someone fat fingered the numbers when re-programming?

magnethead 09-01-2018 11:55 AM

The mileage is stored in the cluster itself...not the PCM...at least to my knowledge.

hmmmmmm