2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

01 Dodge Dakota Rough start/40-45 mph shift issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 07:55 PM
supadoom
Veteran
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 01 Dodge Dakota Rough start/40-45 mph shift issue

So I just bought a new dodge and am having some electrical issues. First it take a long to to start the engine. It try's to start almost immediately but chugs and sputters for about 10 seconds. Turning it off and immediately back on works flawlessly. Letting it sit for 10 minutes or so will reproduce. The truck also shakes and has some weird vibrations and a sudden drop in RPM when it is shifting around the 40-45 mph mark. Finally the right blinkers are not working but checking the bulb's they look fine. The filament perfectly intact. I replaced them just to be sure and they still don't work. The dealership mention they replaced the battery. I saw some posts mentioning the first too problems involving overdrive. Any idea's on what i'm looking at here?

Its an 2001 Dodge Dakota 4.7 v8.

Last edited by supadoom; 09-24-2018 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Forgot to post the truck model.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:36 PM
XSubaruJeepDude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's just so many things , or combination of things that could cause that.
Could be a vacuum leak,,
could be low fuel pressure due to a tank filter or pump issue,
could be clogged injectors,
could be your throttle position sensor (TPS),
could be your Intake Air Controller (IAC) ,
could be your Manifold air pressure sensor (MAP)
The list goes on and on.
I guess the simplest thing you could check first is your air filter.
with regard the blinker issue, i have read somewhere that the actual bulb holders can go bad. You could try jiggling the blinker bulb harness while the blinker is on and see if it has any effect.
The sudden drop in RPM when shifting at 40-45 is probably a "Overdrive" issue. which may be transmission sensors or possibly a vacuum issue.

Last edited by XSubaruJeepDude; 09-24-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:46 AM
supadoom
Veteran
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

It has a cold air intake installed. The filter itself is kinda dirty but not to the point where I think it would be plugged. The blinkers worked during the test drive and as I was pulling out of the lot so that might be the case. When it drops you feel vibrations and a chugging from below aswell. Could that be a bad transmission? Or is more like the transmission trying to get the gear but missing because of the sudden RPM drop? Do you think it would be something that would spit out error codes? If so should I bring it to a shop or order a code reader? Thanks in advance for any help.

Quick Reply: 01 Dodge Dakota Rough start/40-45 mph shift issue