2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

1997 5.2 Dakota hard to start in 70> weather, runs fine otherwise

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 09:40 PM
sim1113
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 5.2 Dakota hard to start in 70> weather, runs fine otherwise

So i have a 1997 5.2 RWD Dakota, 334k miles, most reliable vehicle i have ever owned, until now. I have a strange problem that i cannot find a straight solution for. The truck has always had trouble starting when the temperature gets below 70 degrees F, but usually I would crank it 2-3 times and get a start. Only last year, when working in Oklahoma during winter, I noticed that if i put the key into ACC mode, and let the truck sit, the battery and fuel gauge would eventually ping to their normal positions, only then, it would start every time, with only one crank lasting one second. I have noticed that if the key is put into ACC and the gauges dont move, the truck WILL NOT start. Once the gauges move to normal position, it starts every time, no problems.

Since i noticed this phenomenon, i click the key to ACC, wait, and the truck will fire up. Sometimes when the temp was 40 and below, it would take 5+ minutes of letting it sit in ACC, sometimes clicking the key back and forth helps, sometimes not. Ive done fuel pressure tests(good), and can hear the pump whirring the entire time until the gauges ping(then it stops).

My problem now, is that the truck is not even getting to the point of the gauges moving in 65/below temps. My truck hasnt been wanting to start lately in this weather, and i had to leave it at work recently for a few days until the temp rose to 70F, and it fired up no problem. Another thing that stays on now is the yellow "Security" light, while its waiting for the battery/fuel gauge to move

Any ideas on where to troubleshoot?

Old 10-30-2018, 09:54 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

sounds like the electrical ignition switch may be corroded.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:59 PM
sim1113

Somebody i met that used to work on these trucks directed me to look at the ignition switch connections, but they all look factory, no signs of damage from what i can see. Is there any way to test the connections?

Old 11-20-2018, 10:05 AM
sim1113
Default Fixed

Replaced the PCM and she fires up in cold weather no problem now. Found out if I heated up my old PCM with a hair dryer, it would fire up just fine.

Quick Reply: 1997 5.2 Dakota hard to start in 70> weather, runs fine otherwise