2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

'99 3.6L - Shifts at high RPM

Old 10-28-2018, 11:35 PM
eddie25
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 3.6L - Shifts at high RPM

Hello, this is my first post. I've been searching the web about this issue but I have some questions.

My 1999 3.6L Dakota shifts at about 3200 RPM. It doesn't seem like it's quite every time from 1st to 2nd (very often though), but the next one is every time. So my most common speeds, from 30-40 MPH my RPM's are between 2000 and 3200 until it shifts around 40 MPH. Driving 35 MPH at 3000 RPM gets old.

After some research I've been looking at the TPS and the TV cable.

So my TV cable is super loose. It didn't move much at all with the throttle, but does a little bit towards the end of the swing. Even though it's contrary to my symptoms (as far as I know), I decided to make it tighter... I moved it in quite a bit, but it's still pretty damn loose. Maybe it's a little better, but the TV cable still barely moves and only towards the end of my throttle swing.

Am I correct that the TV cable should be moving during the whole throttle swing?

That adjustment didn't effect the shifting at all, by the way.

I also tested my TPS and it reads .5 ohms closed throttle to 2.5 ohms wide open. I can kinda force the throttle to move more and it'll go up to 2.8 or something. The voltage swing seems pretty even. I'm pretty tempted to try another TPS since that's low according to what I've read (should be 4.5 I think). I've also read that as long as the voltage swing is even then it's OK.

Should I bother with a new TPS?

Any insight would be great. I've already learned a ton just reading old posts.

Thanks!

Old 10-29-2018, 02:07 AM
eddie25

I'm realizing now that it's not so much that the TV cable is loose, it's that it slides around in the plastic part that is connected to the throttle body lever.

So when the lever is moved the cable doesn't move at all because the end is moving in that plastic piece, then when it finally catches towards the end of the lever throw, it'll move like half an inch maybe.

Could this be my issue?

I could set the cable so that the end is already caught in the plastic piece before the lever is moved, which would move it immediately with the lever, but then when the lever returns wouldn't the cable just slide back in the plastic piece...

Let me know if this makes sense.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

I would take a look at the transmission end of the TV cable, and see if the lever on the trans is moving properly. My guess would be "no". Sounds like it is stuck at a pretty high setting. (and that would also explain the slack in the cable.)

Old 10-29-2018, 10:25 AM
eddie25

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I would take a look at the transmission end of the TV cable, and see if the lever on the trans is moving properly. My guess would be "no". Sounds like it is stuck at a pretty high setting. (and that would also explain the slack in the cable.)
Thanks for the response. After some more research last night, this morning I actually found that point at the transmission and indeed the little clip it connects to with the spring was hella rusted and stuck. I played with it for a bit, just moving it around with my hand and it's all fixed now. Still shifts ever so slightly hard, probably because of the adjustment I made earlier at the engine end of the cable, so I'll probably try to get that back to normal.

Should I be happy with that or should I spray some PB blaster on the clip and/or grease the cable?

Old 10-29-2018, 03:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Think I would clean and lubricate everything you can reach.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:27 PM
eddie25

When I tried tightening my TV cable at the engine side before I figured out the real issue, it felt like I moved the little black nipple into the square bracket thing.

To loosen it, am I supposed to be moving the black nipple thing back out... I'm having trouble figuring out how I would do that.

Or, am I just trying to pull the actual cable out, not worrying about the nipple thing?

Essentially it's is running good, but I still feel like it's ever so slightly high RPM shifting, so I might as well try to get it back to normal.

Should just do the reset technique of flooring it while the clip is out and call it a day?

I'll probably leave it as is for now at least, but any insight into that would great.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not sure what that end of your cable looks like. Usually, there is a clip you can pull up, and move the cable either direction.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:47 PM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Wouldnt hurt to do full pcm reset too after cable is firm an no slack .
I did that on mine an the very slight hesitation I had before 2nd was gone /after relearn process.
1800-201800-2000 mine in normal driving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '99 3.6L - Shifts at high RPM