2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 Dodge Dakota 4.7 overheating when idling for too long?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 03:16 PM
Christopher Crain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Dakota 4.7 overheating when idling for too long?

Hi there. I have an automatic 4.7 8 cyl 2001 Dodge Dakota that’s recently encountered the following issue; when im
idling or stopped in a drive thru for 8-10 minutes my temperature gauge will begin to rise into overheating levels and my check gauges light will ping on. However, once I start to drive again the temperature will fall back down into acceptable levels. When I’m stopping for small periods of time such as stop lights, it will rise slightly but not enough to cause an issue. However in stop and go traffic or consecutive close red lights it will occasionally result in reaching high temperatures again. Im planning on taking my wife and daughter out of town next Sunday, and usually I’m a guy that will fix my own stuff bar issues like when my radiator had to be replaced. Any suggestions or knowledge on what the issue sounds like?

Old 11-10-2018, 08:11 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

radiator fan not functioning

Old 11-10-2018, 09:04 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

I will ask the obvious... have you checked the coolant level? Also, your water pump might be weak. Sometimes the vanes wear out. And then there is the fan, which has beem mentioned already.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:57 AM
XSubaruJeepDude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Christopher
I actually was just reading about something similar yesterday. Usually water pumps will begin to make noise or weep coolant when they go bad however rarely,, it is possible for the water pump fins to erode and there be no other signs of a bad pump.
i would guess,,, the easiest thing to check, aside from the coolant level, would be to test your mechanical fan clutch to see it it is still engaging properly, or the electrical fan to see if it is turning on properly.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Dakota 4.7 overheating when idling for too long?