2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New Dakota owner, help me identify these wires/ advice on some other issues

Old 11-12-2018, 01:21 PM
Duzer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Dakota owner, help me identify these wires/ advice on some other issues

So i just bought a 98 dakota SLT with the 3.9L. it has 165k miles on it and has some gremlins but for the price i bought it for, im hoping to get at least a year out of it, living so close to work i figured i would buy a beater and see how long i get get it to live for. If any of you guys can comment on any of the issues or help me identify these wires and where they go that would help me out a lot.

-Shifts into second somewhat hard, not too bad but it can be felt, looks like previous owner replaced the fluid, levels are right in the middle of full and empty on the stick

-Heat works but cannot adjust the temperature (I live in MN so i only care about heat) I think cable is broken, maybe blend door too as i can hear a plastic flap slap around when i break and accelerate

-4x4 works but shifting from 4L to N grinds a bit- just wont use 4L

-AC pump turns on and off even with it set to the feet- just disconnected the compressor so no need until i feel the need to mess with it this summer

-Starting the truck: it turns over VERY slow but always starts, once warm and turned off it turns over even slower- swapped battery out with a 750cca its a bit better but still very sluggish

-has a hard time shifting into 4th gear until its warmed up (it was 18 outside this morning)

Also heres the wires, help me find their home

-overall the truck is in good shape for the year, body is good for being in MN winters. If i can narrow down these issues i will be happy

Old 11-12-2018, 02:34 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

They are ground wires just connect to the block yes they are very different ground wires than the usual grounds.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:43 PM
Duzer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I will see if i can sort that out tonight. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:25 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Those are ground wires. Should go to the back of each head.

Overdrive is thermally controlled. If it's cold, don't expect it to go into 4th. I don't recall the threshold off hand. If it's 28 degrees here in DFW, I'm pretty sure you won't see fourth for a good while.

A/C cycling tells me the PCM might think you are using defrost mode for the windshield.

Slow starting - check for corrosion at the starter, and at the main battery ground strap to the body. The starter itself may also be going out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Dakota owner, help me identify these wires/ advice on some other issues