2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Where do 99 Regular Cabs usually have interior water leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 10:20 PM
wh23g3g
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do 99 Regular Cabs usually have interior water leaks?

I've got my 99 Dakota R/T that unfortunately sits outside until I can clear my garage out. I had all the paint and body work done about 2 years ago now. Before that I replaced the carpet and headliner. I also redid the entire heater box assembly before that so heater core is not leaking anymore. Now I see some discoloration on the back edges of the headliner and I'm fighting a consistent driver's side wet floor against the kick panel area. I thought that I had the kick panel water leak area fixed by securing the door harness boot as well as replacing the door weatherstripping. When you were flooded with 3-4 days of straight rain it got a little damp but not bad on the floor. At least not a puddle but I could still tell it was wet by feeling the carpet. The headliner wasn't wet but you can see water spots in it because the fabric is so light. The driver's side door wiring boot wouldn't clip securely back into the cowl panel. I think one of the clips on the top of the boot was broken. I got it as secure as it would go and weatherstripped around the perimeter of it with weatherstrip caulk neatly. You can see the water trickle down right under where the brake cable comes through the floor if I sit there and flood that side of the truck but I cannot pinpoint where the water is coming in from the outside. The headliner areas I cannot at all figure out where and how it's getting wet in spots. Does the high mount brake light cause water leaks a lot? Any other ideas. Even any ideas of what kind of shop would best be able to figure out where the leak is coming in? I take it to the shows in the summer but right now I just drive it every once and awhile. The Dakota is parked outside until I can clear out my garage of a non-running car, which I can't have in the driveway in my neighborhood.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:55 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like the windshield is leaking.

On the passenger side if using the A/C water can get sucked into the cab by the A/C drain if you dont have the little drain elbow by water suction. The drain elbow is on the firewall in the engine bay. You can get a leak by the 3rd brake light if that seal is dead you cant find just the seal so silicon is the fix or buy an LED unit it comes with a seal a crappy seal but it works.

Not my Pic.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 11-16-2018 at 07:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Where do 99 Regular Cabs usually have interior water leaks?