2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

need help asap, 4.7 wont go over 3000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 09:25 AM
shaunboutila
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Basically what that means is, the PCM is not seeing the signal it thinks it should from the sensors. A typical symptom for a failing/cheap sensor.

so your thinking that it may be the sensor it’s self ? Any ways to check it that are easy enough no garage and really cold out but anything may help I don’t wanna go checking everything and replacing a bunch of stuff for it not to work

Old 02-10-2019, 09:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Not without some special tools...... Like an oscilloscope....

Being cold and nasty, and not having a place inside to work.... you might be further ahead just taking it to a garage you trust, and let them deal with it. Problem there is...... they may just wanna throw parts at it as well, rather than spend the time to properly diagnose it......

Other alternative is to verify everything else....... if the wiring is good, but you are still seeing codes for the sensors, then the sensors are the likely culprit. Of course, that's more time consuming, and working outside in this weather just sucks.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:19 PM
shaunboutila

Not without some special tools...... Like an oscilloscope....

Being cold and nasty, and not having a place inside to work.... you might be further ahead just taking it to a garage you trust, and let them deal with it. Problem there is...... they may just wanna throw parts at it as well, rather than spend the time to properly diagnose it......

Other alternative is to verify everything else....... if the wiring is good, but you are still seeing codes for the sensors, then the sensors are the likely culprit. Of course, that's more time consuming, and working outside in this weather just sucks.
well everything else looks good i dont mind the cold all to much so i regounded it at a couple places but still nothing check engine light is flashing 12 times so im taking it the sensor is bad so im going to go back to the parts store and if that dont work ill buy a mopar one just to make sure because these things dont like aftermarket im starting to notice 1 week for a cam sensor !

Old 02-10-2019, 02:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Buy a better quality sensor. Standard Motor Products seem pretty good. If it still throws codes...... may need to spring for the OEM piece. You can find them online cheaper than the dealership though.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:52 AM
Skreelink
Veteran

Buy a better quality sensor. Standard Motor Products seem pretty good. If it still throws codes...... may need to spring for the OEM piece. You can find them online cheaper than the dealership though.
+1 for Standard branded parts. I have a SMP branded cam sensor in my 3.9 since I got it and it's never given me issues.

Quick Reply: need help asap, 4.7 wont go over 3000 rpm