2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

1997 Dak 3.9 Engine Swap question

Old 02-06-2019, 10:33 PM
Preacher Rob
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Dak 3.9 Engine Swap question

Hello folks well it finally came to the time to do the engine in my 97 Dak. I am staying with the 3.9 I want to keep it as close as I can. My biggest question is when I unbolt underneath there are all of these brackets from the trans, engine and motor mounts. should I leave them in the truck when I pull the engine? Sorry my first 4X4 engine job. I am replacing everything as in Mounts and anything that is ragged out. From what I am seeing I need to unbolt these brackets from the engine and let them stay and then do the mounts. Am I right or am I missing something Please? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. I am excited I bought a nice Crate engine an ATK.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Just take 'em out. That way, you are assured they won't be in the way for removal/reinstall.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:30 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

What HeyYou said. The brackets do stay attached to the driveline, but I think you can still remove them, put the engine barely into the mounts to get general position, then put the brackets back on before dropping the engine all the way into the saddles.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:09 AM
Preacher Rob
Amateur

Thanks folks I do appreciate the great advice.. we pulled them put new mounts in and since they are part of the mount system I cleaned them and painted them up like new.. You folks are great as always!!

Old 02-08-2019, 04:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Originally Posted by Preacher Rob
Thanks folks I do appreciate the great advice.. we pulled them put new mounts in and since they are part of the mount system I cleaned them and painted them up like new.. You folks are great as always!!
We want pics.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:13 PM
Preacher Rob
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
We want pics.
Sure I will snap a few when I am there tomorrow or Monday. I didn't get to clean everything (a work in progress ) but it is come a long way!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 Dak 3.9 Engine Swap question